Banded on the 11th

melslongjourney
on 12/20/09 1:43 am
I took forever to put a update on here!
I went in friday the 11th and came home the same day, I had a few snags which made things a little harder but I still would do it all over again with out any doubt. Seems the tube they use in your throat somehow sratched my throat and caused alot of blood to be in my stomach so when I woke up finally from surgery I vomited violently and theblood came out my mouth and nose. That part was scary... but they knew it wasn't from anything other than my throat so I was glad. I came home and of course was in horrible pain felt someone ran over my tummy with a huge truck. Even though I was in pain I walked and walked and drank and walked. For the first 3 days I coughed up blood that was from surgery. It was gross and my throat was sore and my nose was so dry. I set up a humidifier and that helped alot to clear up the irritation on my throat. Somehow I never got the horrible shoulder pain and I was very thankful. I did feel the gas moving around my stomach and chest and I kept on walking. For a moment I had forgotten that I was on full liquids and I was so worried that I would forget tried to do the 30/30 drink rule... well day two I thought DUH... its all fluids what am I doing? lol

So I just drank and drank crystal ligh****er, my protien drink ( myoplex light  chocolate) Yummy!
and ate my happy pudding and cream soups. I was hungery with the bottomless pit feeling by day four and I just drank more protien and it helped. Its all liquid my NUT said so nothing is really going to stay in the new pouch till we have soft foods so its silly to try and worry about how much weight we lose week oneor two the object is to keep healthy and recover and if your no putting much in your no going to get much out engery and recovery wise. So all you folks pre op keep that in mind the first two weeks is not the whole journey just the beginning. :) 

well I went to my post op appt this part friday the 18th and I felt really good. I was down over 10lbs from surgery and although I am still tender at my insisions they are healing nicely. They are wayyyy smaller than I thought or have seen on other folks in the past. The port is about 2 inched above my belly button and although I questioned why they put it there now I know, mine is almost healed and only very slightly sensitive. The other reason they do it there at my surgeons office is because if you do it off to the side thats where you bend and its harder to heal. My insision on that side is still not closed all the way and sore I think its because its where your body twists and bends. So when talking to the dr friday I asked him is my therory was correct about port placement and he said yes, when they did it on the side like most drs do they had lots of patient issues with soreness and infection. He laughed when I told him thats my "done" button like on a butterball turkey and he joked it remined him of the pop'n fresh commercial with pillisbury guy and his tummy that tickled. I laughed and I love that although my surgeons are serious and straigh forward we could share a laugh. I also know I made the best choice by going to such a great dr that has the center of excellence for baratiric surgery, Iit pays to do your homework. Whn I was leaving the office and he came past to give me a realize band book on "fills" and asked me to read it then he said you know your doing a great job with your new tool. That felt good to know all the time and effort it has taken to get to this point was all worth it. I am set to go back to work tomorrow and I may not be able to bacuse we have almost 20 inches of the snow on the ground from yesterdays storm. :) yay for another day off!

~Melissa~
SW/326 CW/224 GW/175
~ 4cc added in 11cc realize- C band~ 02/08/10~
~1 cc added 03/08/10
~1 cc added 05/03/10
~ 1cc added 07/26/10
~ .05 cc added 09/09/10
~ .05 cc added 01/06/11
~ .25 cc added 06/06/11

kati728
on 12/20/09 2:53 am
I was banded on the 10th by Dr. Terracina in VA.  Sounds like you are enjoying the protein shakes...I have tried over 7 different kinds and the flavors just make my stomach turn!! I am just drinking and drinking to stay hydrated though!  I go tomorrow for my post op appt and hopefully I have lost a few pounds too!   Take care and keep us posted!! 
Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 12/20/09 8:26 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Kati,
Congrats on your surgery.
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 12/20/09 8:25 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Melissa,
glad you are much better.  Congrats on losing 10lb already.  Take it easy and stay safe with the snow.
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

BooLicious
on 12/21/09 12:16 pm - PA
Congrats to you Melissa.  You are on your way and sounds like you are gonna do great.  Way to go with the first 10 pounds, they are forever gone. 
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Arlene F.
on 12/26/09 10:43 am
I enjoyed reading about your journey thusfar.  It was very enlightening and interesting. 
My port is on my right side and it seems like it is taking a long time to heal....My other
incisions are healed but my port incision is still scabbed and it longer and wider than the others...I don't know if I will be able to get my fill if the incision is not completely healed.
I have been putting neosporin on it like the Doc advised me too but it really is taking a long time.

First fill for me is scheduled for January 7th.  I hope it is painless...

Thanks for sharing.

Arlene
changen09
on 12/28/09 4:20 am
Well it looks like we were banded the same day Arlene. My first fill is on Jan 12. I am looking forward to it. I can go long intervals without being really hungry but find if I go more than 4 hrs or so I get shaky. Mornings are good, I do my protein in my coffee and I am not hungry again until mid morning then it is 1/4 cup of cottage cheese or something with small amt of SF canned fruit during mid morning and am not hungry until early or mid afternoon. I will welcome the restriction however, that is what is was all about for me.
Arlene F.
on 12/28/09 5:15 am
I am totally falling off the wagon...I don't eat large amounts of anything...I just find myself popping a cookie in my mouth...piece of candy...stuff that doesn't belong there.
I am looking forward to my fill...it seems that I have forgotten to use my "tool" in some instances.
Back to the gym tonite...party time is over....
I haven't been drinking properly nor getting my protein numbers up there....
How quickly we forget.....
I am however, remembering to eat protein first, chew slowly and sip, sip sip.
So I am incorporating some good habits...the old bad ones creep in though.

arlene
changen09
on 12/29/09 2:33 am
I am sure you will get back on the wagon. I have popped a cookie here or there but nothing constant. I do a little extra time on the treadmill but when I think of how I want the weight off it keeps me grounded, plus my hubby keeps watch over me. I have lost 19 since my surgery so I am stoked but find myself constantly battling, which I guess we all are. Lets fight the good fight everyone!!!!!!!!
Tom C.
on 12/29/09 12:06 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
CONGRATS TO EVEYONE !!

Have a Happy New Year, and hoping your 2010 is lighter and brigther then 2009
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active