The first week is a wreck.

sunnyswim
on 12/17/09 11:35 am
Things are getting a little better, I am still really sick. My stomach hurts really bad and I coughing a lot but I think its because of the medication I am on from my cold. I am just a little upset that I am not recovering as quick as I wanted. My stomach is in knots because of the medication and since I am on liquids its not making things better I was so very temped to eat pretzels so my tummy could feel better but I didn't get surgery to cheat. So instead I hold my pillow when I cough and make sure I am near a bathroom. I do hope it gets better than that. The plus side of this is I had surgery 5 days ago and I stepped on a scale and I was 218 with jeans and sneakers on and I was 225 before surgery. I guess anyone would loose weight on a liquid diet. UGH sometimes I am so lost with this. I know its normal to have mixed feelings with this!! I just want to get better. Maybe things will be better when I get my first fill.
BooLicious
on 12/17/09 11:40 am - PA

Try to find comfort that the hardest week is OVER and it will be getting easier.  I don't know if your still taking the liquid vicodin or whatever they gave you, but try to stop during the day.  That stuff made it so hard for me to drink and I felt so sick to my stomach.  I started taking liquid tylenol if I felt pain and was surprised it did ok. 

I'm telling you though, them liquids and the healing it will wear you down.  I promise you though when you get to soft foods, everything changes.  It's like it totally restores you.  You are gonna do great.  Oh, and everyone says to walk and they are right.  It really does help.  Hang in there!!!

Way to go on the 7 pound loss, that got to get you excited and congrats on your band.  You two will be bonding soon. 

Boo

Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

sunnyswim
on 12/17/09 11:48 am

Thank you for the reply! Its just a little hard right now since I have a slight infection and the medication is making me ill since I have to take it with food and the stage one diet contains nothing that willl bind up my stomach. I am itchy because I am healing, I am real excited for my fill I want to feel full! How long have you had your band and when did you get your first fill?

BooLicious
on 12/17/09 12:00 pm - PA
That does suck!  Perfect timing huh?  You will get by and this will be a distant memory.  Are you drinking protein shakes?  Definitely hit them, they always just felt like the most substance out of the liquids.  You should be close to mushy/purees right?  That will be a big help too.

Just had my 2nd fill (got update my signature) and now have a total of 5 cc's and I have restriction.  Didn't before he put in this last 1 cc.  It's amazing how you think it won't really happen and in 10 minutes I went from nothing to what I am thinking might be IT.  lol  I hope so. 

I know your anxious for your fills and no hunger and losing and all the good stuff, but remember the healing takes time and even when you think you'll never get there, you will.  So, just hang tight and keep the end goal in sight if you struggle and KNOW you are totally normal.  :)

Boo

You can see my signature below for my dates. 
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Randy Z.
on 12/17/09 9:35 pm - Charlotte, NC
I am 2 months after surgery and still hold my stomach when I cough and sneeze, but it is getting better. Hang in there, it WILL get much better and you will be on foods soon.

Congrats on the 7 pounds in 7 days.  Looks like you will be in Onelander before you know it.
HW 288 --  4/1/09 at 277.8 --  SW 268.8
Realize band 10/19/09

nkara
on 12/17/09 11:19 pm
 It does get better.

I thought I was the only one who had that much pain after surgery.  I was a mess for about a week and a half.   I had liquid morphin and vicodin for pain and it was still pretty bad.   I wasn't interested in drinking much either because of the pain I was in but you will turn a corner and every day you'll feel a little bit better.   I finally felt human again after about the 3 week mark.

IT is worth it! Keep your chin up! 
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Most Active