Howdy!

sunnyswim
on 12/15/09 2:46 pm

I am really new to this but I know that I need to change my life in certain ways so getting online and getting apart of support groups will help. I just recently had realize band done (12/12/09). So far I am sore, tired and I have a real bad cough which I don’t think its normal ( I have to pick up an antibiotic tomorrow). But I don’t feel as hungry and I am so excited to see my progress and the progress of the other people who decided to take the step. Is it normal to be itchy and I am still so sore?

Melanie Short
on 12/15/09 8:36 pm - Hamilton, OH
First welcome to OH! I too am a newby for the band, I had my surgery 12/8. I think I was pretty fortunate I never really had pain or was very sore at all. I had a little bit of an uncomfortable feeling but never pain. I have been itchy though, but think that is pretty normal as the incisions are healing. I wish you luck, and hope you feel better.
Melanie    
sunnyswim
on 12/17/09 11:45 am

Thank you for the reply! Its just a little hard right now since I have a slight infection and the medication is making me ill since I have to take it with food and the stage one diet contains nothing that willl bind up my stomach. I am itchy because I am healing, I am real excited for my fill I want to feel full! How are you doing with it??

Pixieland
on 12/15/09 8:38 pm - Davison, MI
Hi Sunny and welcome!!  Its only been a few days since your surgery so I do think it is normal to be sore.  I'm not so sure about the itchy part...is it at the incision sites or are you itchy all over?  I would think at the incision sites that is normal and part of healing...if itsall over I would call my Dr.  You may be having a reaction to some meds.
Give yourself time to heal.
I had my band 'installed' Oct 16 and have not had one minute of regret.  I have had 2 fills now and am feeling some restriction now but think one more fill will get me to my 'sweet spot'.  I have lost 33 pounds so far and am thrilled!
This site is awesome and I hope you find it and the support from others as helpful as I have. 
Leslie

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

sunnyswim
on 12/17/09 11:42 am

Thank you for the reply! Its just a little hard right now since I have a slight infection and the medication is making me ill since I have to take it with food and the stage one diet contains nothing that willl bind up my stomach. I am itchy because I am healing, I am real excited for my fill I want to feel full!

Tom C.
on 12/15/09 9:01 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Sunny,

for many whay you are going through is perfectly normal.

CONGRATS on your New Life !! Welcome, and come back often !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
sunnyswim
on 12/17/09 11:44 am
Thank you so much!!
BooLicious
on 12/16/09 12:18 am - PA
Congrats, welcome and yep, you sound normal!!!  :)  Way to go on making this life changing decision and coming here for support.  I can't make my support group's meetings so I have made this my place to stay involved.  Plus, it's so inspiring and helpful watching those in front of of us who are at goal or in process.  I still consider myself a newbie, I was banded on Sept.16.  It's a process of growing, changing and learning and you WILL DO GREAT!!! 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

sunnyswim
on 12/17/09 1:00 am

Thank you very much for all your replies! Things are getting a little better, I am still really sick. My stomach hurts really bad and I coughing a lot but I think its because of the medication I am on from my cold. I am just a little upset that I am not recovering as quick as I wanted. My stomach is in knots because of the medication and since I am on liquids its not making things better I was so very temped to eat pretzels so my tummy could feel better but I didn't get surgery to cheat. So instead I hold my pillow when I cough and make sure I am near a bathroom. I do hope it gets better than that. The plus side of this is I had surgery 5 days ago and I stepped on a scale and I was 218 with jeans and sneakers on and I was 225 before surgery. I guess anyone would loose weight on a liquid diet. UGH sometimes I am so lost with this. I know its normal to have mixed feelings with this!! I just want to get better

OneRedKansan41
on 12/21/09 12:56 pm
On December 15, 2009 at 10:46 PM Pacific Time, sunnyswim wrote:

I am really new to this but I know that I need to change my life in certain ways so getting online and getting apart of support groups will help. I just recently had realize band done (12/12/09). So far I am sore, tired and I have a real bad cough which I don’t think its normal ( I have to pick up an antibiotic tomorrow). But I don’t feel as hungry and I am so excited to see my progress and the progress of the other people who decided to take the step. Is it normal to be itchy and I am still so sore?

Welcome and congrats to you! A bit sore yes, but I am not so sure about the itchy part. Better talk to the DR about that one.
Most Active