Is it pre-op gitters??

realturtlelover
on 12/11/09 11:23 am - Copeville, TX
REALIZE Band on 12/18/09 with
It is three days till Monday. I have to be at the hospital at 11:15 am. I am starting to question my decision. I am starting to think I am not picking the right surgery for myself and that it may not work. I am so stressed I cheated on my pre-op diet BIG time today. I feel like I am about to cry. The fact that my 7 year old is having her first birthday sleepover tonight is probably not helping my mental state. I must have been out of my mind when I came up with this idea!! Did all of you have second thoughts? I turned to others today who had the lap band and had complications. I asked them to be honest and they were. I appreciate that very much but now I am worried. Did you listen to the horror stories of others and get nervous too? Or is all this just me starting to question my own decision?
Lisa  //(*_*)\\

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away" George Carlin, Author Unknown
Jennifer R.
on 12/11/09 12:42 pm - Fullerton, CA
 This is totally normal!! We all have questioned our decisions, especially when reading the stories of complications. Every surgery has complications but, in my opinion, the band's potential complications are workable and ultimately it's reversible. I actually didn't question my decision until about 3 days after surgery when I had an overwhelming trapped feeling. But, as everyone told me, it passed and I haven't regretted it since!

These forums are super supportive but you do need to be aware that there are some people who are very negative and have an agenda. Talk to YOUR doctor and follow the rules and you'll be fine. I suggest you frequent the Lapband forum too since it's much more active and we all have the same fears, issues, solutions, and ultimately, support.

I'm still a newbie but I already have found some great friends there!! You will do great - you're about to start your new life!!!

Jennifer

Courage is not always a lion's roar. Sometimes, it is a small voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Diet Plans

"When you change the way you see things, the things you see will change."

Livewell
on 12/11/09 7:04 pm - Chatham, NJ
Lisa,

What you are feeling is perfectly normal - this is a big step and you have high hopes pegged on it.  We all went through pre-op cold feet.  You will also likely experience post-op buyer's remorse, too, so be prepared for that as well.

Just remember that this is about getting healthy and that, in the end, you will find that the band is actually just one small step towards getting there.  If you rely completely on the band for the journey, you will miss out on the many other aspects of living a healthy life.

I wish you the very best on your surgery and your post-op recovery.  Now relax . . . you will do just fine.

Tom C.
on 12/11/09 7:56 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Lisa,

to be perfectly honest - it would be abnormal if you didn't. While I KNEW I was doing the best thing for me and I had made the correct operation decision, I still doubted was this right, would it work, would it be successful. And, while I HAVE been very successful, every day I still doubt myself - which (for me) is great because it keeps me honest and focused.

The one thing like I like to remind you is - despite previous experiences, know you will always have a wonderful support group here to help you every step of the way. And if you feel there is NO ONE to turn to, know you have at least one person you can (me :D).

Good luck, and can't wait to see you sitting on the loser's bench in our winner's circle.

And ... HAPPY HOLIDAY :D !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Melanie Short
on 12/12/09 9:33 am - Hamilton, OH
I think it is normal to be nervous, my doctor said if you weren't at least a little nervous then you probably wasn't taking it serious enough. I also slipped a couple times on my preop diet but you will be fine. I just had my surgery Tuesday, I feel great. The day after surgery I was out running errands. The few complications that are possible are much lower than the complications of keeping the weight, that is what pushed me to know that I really needed to do this.

Good Luck, I'm sure you will do great!!!!
Mel
Melanie    
(deactivated member)
on 12/12/09 9:48 am - East Providence, RI
Hi Lisa.  I just had my surgery on Tuesday and on Monday I was ready to call my doctor to cancel.  I was freaking out.  I had to admit to myself that I was acting out of fear.  I ended up going through with the surgery and am so glad I did.  Believe me, you will be thrilled once it's over.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Patty
tryingtoloseweight
on 12/13/09 5:28 am
I had my surgery december 1 and I'm glad I did it. I was nervous too. I cleaned the entire house the morning before my surgery in order to get rid of my pre-surgery gitters and the night before I went to bed at 7pm (as soon as i got home from work) because i knew if I stayed up that I would chicken out. The surgery was super easy; mine only took 45 minutes for the actual surgery and when I woke up I felt great. You will do great!! Good luck,
OneRedKansan41
on 12/15/09 1:15 pm
Some folks do get what is called 'cold feet'. I understand that getting 'cold feet' is pretty normal. I did get a little bit of cold feet myself. Good luck to you!
Most Active