Where do you turn for comfort now?

realturtlelover
on 12/10/09 11:01 am - Copeville, TX
REALIZE Band on 12/18/09 with
I grew up in a family that used food for comfort, celebrations, excitement, necessity, boredom etc... I have continues throughout my life to use food for every an any occasion whether alone or in a group. Where will I get the comfort that food currently gives me??
Lisa  //(*_*)\\

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away" George Carlin, Author Unknown
BooLicious
on 12/10/09 12:14 pm - PA
That is a tough one.  I really don't know.   I think food is comfort for most people, especially those of us who have gotten here, but it is hard to come up with something when you ask it like that.  I know that is why they talk about cross over addictions, where you replace the food with another bad habit, smoking, drugs, shopping etc.  So, you would want to be aware and watch that an issue like that does not arrive.  I know just feeling healthier, more energy, happier with myself is a big payoff to the food.  I still miss it here and there, but I wouldn't trade the changes I've made for it back. 

I'm curious to hear any other responses to this as well.  You will figure it out though.  Also, does your Dr.'s office have a counselor or anything on staff you could meet with.  That might help you sort through these concerns. 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

realturtlelover
on 12/11/09 1:32 am - Copeville, TX
Thank you Boo! Being three days out from surgery my mind is beginning to spin out of control!
Lisa  //(*_*)\\

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away" George Carlin, Author Unknown
BooLicious
on 12/11/09 1:55 am - PA
Rest easy, you are normal.  This is a huge life changing event you are about to start, so of course your minds spinning.  You will do great though.  Just try and relax and take it day by day.  :) 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

OneRedKansan41
on 12/21/09 12:54 pm

I see a counselor once a week. She is great. My family helps too.

Pixieland
on 12/10/09 9:02 pm - Davison, MI
Hi Lisa,
At risk of sounding to cliche'...find comfort in knowing that the good choices you make now will allow you to live longer, healthier and happier.  I think it will be a learning process to find the things that provide you satisfaction and comfort.  Try new things, challenge yourself, get crafty.

We are all always going to be in situations surrounded by food.  I can't think of one occasion (happy or sad) where food isn't present.  I think we all will still have those foods that are our 'comfort' foods and I think that is OK.  I know that I will still love a warm bowl of chili (my comfort food).  But instead of 3 bowls of comfort, I will have one. 

I am trying my very best to teach my brain moderation...a skill that has eluded me most of my life which is what got me here.  I think that going to the group meetings offered by my surgeon's office, reading and posting on this site, and working to make myself better all help tremendously.  It really helps to know we are not in this alone!
Leslie

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

realturtlelover
on 12/11/09 1:33 am - Copeville, TX
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate it.
Lisa  //(*_*)\\

Tom C.
on 12/11/09 8:32 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
I get my comfort from the best source I can .. MYSELF !! Once you start losing, you will realize that food wasn't a friend but an enemy. However getting to realize myself wasn't easy. I took being proud of my lost to start relying on myself and not food.

Know you will also have friends, family, support groups and this board that will give you all the comfort you need.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
realturtlelover
on 12/12/09 2:15 am - Copeville, TX
Thank you, your right! I guess have a spent a life time seeking it from other people and things.
Lisa  //(*_*)\\

Tooty
on 12/11/09 11:08 pm, edited 12/11/09 11:08 pm - Germantown, TN
I still have days that I get mad/upset because I can't eat something, but that is part of this journey.  Then when I go shopping and find that I can wear a smaller size, the days like that come less often....  Now, I am doing really good with my brain and I just grab a protein shake or water and let my mood pass.  I find getting on the internet helps a lot or actually doing something around the house that I should be doing anyway takes my mind off of it and I am fine within the hour or so....

Hang in there, the further out you are the better it gets.....
Cathlena - 39, 4'11"   Start - 210  3/31/09    BMI  Start: 42.4    
 LilySlim - (OdX3)
Most Active