struggling with soda!!!!

Mel is losing it
on 12/8/09 5:59 am - Lakeport, CA
Hi there! I used to have a huge Diet Coke addiction but I gave it up when I knew I was having surgery and it is def not recommended to drink soda with wls. I have successfully not had a "diet coke" but I find myself still craving the carbonation mostly! Now I have been occasionally drinking Pepsi! I can't seem to find the will to give it up or find something to replace it even.  I was able to give up my other vices of smoking and pizza...but not the carbonation! :( Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :0)

Melissa 11cc Realize Band

Experienced a leak in my port, and had no restriction for over 9 months. Had leak repair surgery on 1/31/11 and am back on my journey again! :)

BooLicious
on 12/8/09 10:25 am, edited 12/8/09 10:25 am - PA
Gee, that's a tough one because everyone on here who had a real struggle said they just used good ole will power and making the choice to put their band and health first.  Yep, easier said then done, but YOU CAN DO IT.  Just decide today that you are finished with it.  Having a Pepsi here and there won't help you beat the urges, as it probably only feeds it ya know.  I was a soda drinker, but I wouldn't say addicted, but I have my moments where a bubbly glass of coke sounds so good.  I just don't even go there though.  Maybe pick an event once a year you get to drink a flat diet coke, like your birthday or something. 

Sorry I don't have better help, but I see this thread a lot and if you made it this far and you gave up smoking and pizza, you sure as he!! can do this too.  Kick em in three's, so throw the coke/pepsi over with the cigarettes and pizza, you will be healthier for it.  You really can do it. 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Mel is losing it
on 12/9/09 12:16 am - Lakeport, CA

Thank you for your encouragment! Def having one here or there is truly keeping the bad habit going instead of helping me kick it. I have to decide to want my health over the bubbly! Thanks again! :)

Experienced a leak in my port, and had no restriction for over 9 months. Had leak repair surgery on 1/31/11 and am back on my journey again! :)

BooLicious
on 12/9/09 10:23 am - PA
You really can do it Melissa, look at all you have achieved and overcome so far.  So, don't sell yourself short.  You'll be telling people in no time how you kicked your habit too.  :)  Hang in there and don't give up. 

Also, I drink Propel waters.  I love them and all the flavors.  It gets a little costly, but overall I am still saving on food and drink compared to pre-band so it is a splurge. 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Mel is losing it
on 12/10/09 12:55 am, edited 12/10/09 12:56 am - Lakeport, CA

You're right Boo! I want to be able to say that I have kicked the habit for good! Congrats to you on your success as well! :)

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 12/9/09 1:16 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Hi Melissa,
I was a Pepsi drinker before surgery.  Mind you not Diet it had to be the real thing.   It is hard but I refuse to go there. 
I like crystal light and it does help with the sweet. 
Good luck maybe it will get easier.
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

Mel is losing it
on 12/9/09 2:18 am, edited 12/10/09 12:57 am - Lakeport, CA
you're right! I should make some at keep in the fridge so when I tempted to get something I will have that right there to drink! Thanks and congrats to you on your success! :)

Pixieland
on 12/9/09 8:12 am - Davison, MI
I recommend the Crystal Light Peach Tea ( or the store brands as they are typically alot cheaper and just as good).
Peach Tea....Mmmmmmm....Yummy.

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

Mel is losing it
on 12/10/09 12:58 am - Lakeport, CA
thanks for the reminder, I have some peach tea in my desk right now! :)

greenvillegal
on 12/9/09 2:36 pm

I've just recently started the soda detox and the only way I've found that I can do it is to have a fridge full of other options. I have multiple flavors of crystal light mixed up, V8 fushion light, etc. I also keep a few bottles of diet tea as well in case I give in to the caffeine craving. 

I picked up a can at work the other day and literally had a conversation with myself about opening it. I was able to put it down thankfully. I'm not sure if those around your are soda drinkers. If so, getting them away from it may help you to kick the habit. My mother is coming to help out during the surgery and had the "nerve" to tell me that she was going to need to hide the soda while she was here. Flat out told her, look - I would appreciate if you didn't try that as I'm bound to find it and would also prefer if you would order ice tea from now on anytime you are around me. Not sure if she'll do it but it is worth a try.

Good luck and congrats on your success so far.

Most Active