Now all I have to do is show up!

melslongjourney
on 12/6/09 11:50 pm
Well last thursday was my final with the surgeon... I was a little put off that my original surgeon wasn't there and i was "thrown" into the room with someone new. Well I as always just went with it and asked him the same boat load of questions my doctor was going to get. He passed the test and was very serious and liked that I asked questions, so acutally I left feeling pretty good about the whole thing.
So this friday is the day..... I have had a sick tummy all weekend, I think its just nerves. Its hard to believe that everything finally came together after years of looking into this. I catch myself still second guessing myself but not as much. I think I read too much online and made the mistake of looking at a "fill" on you tube. Big mistake for someone who hates needles....I woke sunday morning at 4am thinking OMG what the heck am I doing to myself by impalanting something in me and why can't I just do this on my own and then I came the realization that I have tried to do it on my own for years and it didn't work. I think one of my issues is of course the "what ifs" after surgery. I am self pay and I worry something will go wrong and I will have to mortagage the house again to pay for anything that went wrong. I noticed also being self pay that i did everything on my own, I sorta felt like I had to chase paperwork, call, etc. more so than when i have ever had anything done with insurance. That part kinda sucked, and although my doctors office was kind enough I guess they were too busy trying to get peoples insurance to approve that us self pays because our lack of insurace to pay we got thrown to the side. I sure know after the monies I paid out last week I am going to do exactly what I am supoosed to so I won't regretful.
I hope everyone this month has a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery. :) If anyone wants to be a "buddy" please let me know I need all the support I can get.

~Melissa~
SW/326 CW/224 GW/175
~ 4cc added in 11cc realize- C band~ 02/08/10~
~1 cc added 03/08/10
~1 cc added 05/03/10
~ 1cc added 07/26/10
~ .05 cc added 09/09/10
~ .05 cc added 01/06/11
~ .25 cc added 06/06/11

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 12/7/09 12:26 am, edited 12/7/09 1:44 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Melissa,
I just wanted to say congratulation on you upcoming surgery.  I was banded on Oct 26th. 
The surgery went great.  I had surgery on Monday at 2:30  and went home that night by 7:00.  I had a hard time getting up when I was laying down flat my DH had to set me up.  I have to say by Wednesday I was getting up on my own and from that day on, it got easier and easier.  On Friday I road the bike for 20 minutes, and Sunday I cleaned my house.
I made the same mistake by watching the fill on you tube after I had surgery.  I thought to myself what did I go and do.  LOL   I went in for my first fill last week they did it under fluoro, they give me a little shot to numb it and then do the fill.  I can say it didn't hard.  I am feeling great. 
I would be more then happy to be your buddy. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.  Like I said I am pretty new to the whole thing but will share all that I have went through.  
I will keep you in my prayers for a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery.   
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

Pixieland
on 12/7/09 1:41 am - Davison, MI
Hi Melissa,
Congratulations to you and I'll be praying that everything goes well for you on Friday.  I was banded 10/16 and I thought the procedure and recovery were quite easy.  I have had past abdominal surguries ...so compared to those this was a breeze.

I have not had one second of regret.  I had my first fill in November and get my second tomorrow.  That too was easier than I had anticipated.

You sound like you know exactly what you are doing, you have researched and planned for this for a long time now.  I think you will do GREAT!!! 

My best advice for post op care...is walk, sip, and rest.  Within a few days after I was feeling really good.  Take care of yourself and get enough rest.

Leslie

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

mstrip59
on 12/7/09 1:56 am

Congrats on your decision.  The fact that you did most of the work yourself to get this surgery speaks volumes of your commitment to change your life.  It is so easy to get frustrated, give up or feel that it is not worth the hassle you may go through to reach your goal.  I went home the day after my surgery and stayed that long because my potassium was too low for them to release me before that time.  I have not had one complication, I listen to my new stoma for the signal to stop eating and be satisfied with that "new" feeling of fullness.  I have lost 17 lbs. in a little over eight weeks and I know that I could not have done this without my band because I have tried it on my own in the past and did not have any success.  The nerves you feel are OK due to have a new thing happening to you.  I have not had a fill yet and I am not going to worry about that, I look it as a small part of what works for the band.  Take care, good luck and God bless you for Friday. 

BooLicious
on 12/7/09 12:24 pm - PA
Congratulations Melissa!  Just reading your post takes me back there, so we all know what you are going through.  You are gonna do great and you will be losing weight in no time.  Just hang in there and hang out here :), it is a process that is for sure.  Good luck and please update us at to how your doing! 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Most Active