I am having

OneRedKansan41
on 12/6/09 1:00 pm
The REALIZE Band placed in me on December 10(just 5 days away) And I am feeling a little bit nervous about it-it is major surgery- but I just wonder what I am going to be like on Wednesday night! I am staying at my folk's place Wed through Sunday evening(if all goes o.k) and I was wondering how you all handled your evenings before the surgery..(yes I know my profile says Lap band but I do not know yet how to change it).. I could use some advice on how to handle being too nervous the night before and also going into the surgery room! I am sure that I will be very weepy..

gina F.
on 12/6/09 2:46 pm
HI! I had my realize band surgery on nov.25th the day before thanksgiving! I was very nervous too! I kept thinking, it"s not too late to change my mind or diet and excerisise will work if i really apply myself" But i didn't back down. O won"t lie the the first few days were tough. Painfull, weak, nauseus..but here i am dec.6th and I feel pretty good. I have lost about 18 lbs post op and will have my first fill on the 11th. Besides heavy lifting and tiring easier than normal, I feel positive and glad i have done it. I plan to start walking a little tomorrow. Hope sharing my experience helps you. Good luck! Let me know how it goes. Gina 
melslongjourney
on 12/6/09 11:54 pm
You sound exactly like me with the what if I diet and excercise part... mine is this friday and I am very nervous. Anything you could tell me about what to expect after like pain etc that you wish you knew before? or any words of wisdom would be helpful. thanks and I am glad your feeling better. Here's to a brand new life!

~Melissa~
SW/326 CW/224 GW/175
~ 4cc added in 11cc realize- C band~ 02/08/10~
~1 cc added 03/08/10
~1 cc added 05/03/10
~ 1cc added 07/26/10
~ .05 cc added 09/09/10
~ .05 cc added 01/06/11
~ .25 cc added 06/06/11

gina F.
on 12/8/09 12:55 pm
Being scared is just part of the process. It's normal, let yourself feel it. If you have made your choice to do it then just go for it. For me once i woke up from the anesthesia i thought
"wow i made it through" I think there are natural phases one goes through when getting wls.
nervousness, excitment....after surgery relief, I felt pretty good post op..at first. i think it was day 2 that it hurt the most. But it's totally bareable! I think it was the medication they gave me was the thing that made me have so much nausea. Once i didn't need it as much i stopped taking it. It was liquid vicodin. Once my head was on straight again and i was off the meds things really picked up for me. But then as you feel better your appetite comes back. You watch T.V. and every commercial has the most delicious food EVER! Then you begin to doubt your decision. It's like mourning the loss of a loved one. In my case Burgers and fries!  I felt really deprived and did some crying out of frustration....but then you get on the scale and see that you have lost 10 lbs. then 15 and that felt better than any burger could taste. I'm at the point where i've accepted the changes i've made and am really excited about what the future will bring. Cute clothes, looking in the mirror and not feeling disgusted with what i see. Total freedom from food! Freedom from the pounds that have weighed me down for so long. I had a dream the other night that i was beautifull in a bathing suit, feeling free and happy. Running ,laughing, my long hair flowing through the air. But most of all in the dream I was HAPPY. For me it was the right choice. If your experience is anything like mine you'll likely feel the same 2 weeks from friday. Good Luck to you! Please keep me posted. I will be anxiously awaiting to hear how it went.  Gina    
Arlene F.
on 12/8/09 11:30 pm
GINA SAYS IT ALL PERFECTLY.....HANG IN THERE!!!
OneRedKansan41
on 12/16/09 9:01 am
On December 7, 2009 at 7:54 AM Pacific Time, melslongjourney wrote:
You sound exactly like me with the what if I diet and excercise part... mine is this friday and I am very nervous. Anything you could tell me about what to expect after like pain etc that you wish you knew before? or any words of wisdom would be helpful. thanks and I am glad your feeling better. Here's to a brand new life!
Just do everything that your dr and nurses and surgeons say and you should be fine. It will be a piece of cake. Just relax when you are on the operating table. They knock you out pretty quick. When you wake up you might be stiff but they will give you great meds for pain.!

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 12/7/09 12:51 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Hi,
I have surgery on Monday Oct 26th at 2:30 and was home by 7:00. I was really sore and had a hard time getting up on my own, DH had to set me up all day Tuesday.  On Wednesday I was able to got up out of bed on my own and started feeling better.  By Friday I rode the bike for 20 min. and Sunday I cleaned my house.  I had my first fill last week and it wasn't bad at all.  When I started the liquid diet on Oct 11th I weighed 235 lbs.  and as of yesterday I am down to 203  not to bad for less then 2 months.  I was wanting the Lap band but the surgeon went for the Realize band.
You will do just fine. Make sure you walk all you can and sip your liquids.  The first few week was hard to get all my liquids in.   I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  If you have any questions feel free to PM.  I am new to all this also but will share what I have been through.
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

OneRedKansan41
on 12/7/09 8:20 am
Not bad at all, Wendy. Congrats to you on the weight loss, too!

BooLicious
on 12/7/09 12:30 pm - PA
I feel you, I was nervous too but I looked at some of my before shots a lot and pictured myself one year later with the band and one year later without it and it was like I couldn't get to sleep and wake up fast enough.  Even though I was scared, I was definitely more excited so try and focus on that aspect because when you do...it gets you all gung ho.  You've made it this far and you are gonna do fantastic.  Let us know how you make out and are doing.  The first few days are hard, but if you feel sore and bad or whatever, just keep telling yourself you won't feel that bad the next day.  :)  Each day gets better and easier till your like "wow, I feel normal". 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

OneRedKansan41
on 12/7/09 1:22 pm
In a strange way, I will probably feel a bit sad. I mean, I already do sometimes miss the foods that I can no longer eat, and the amounts. Is that strange?

Most Active