Weight Loss Slowed Dramatically

Rachel DiLo
on 12/3/09 10:43 am
Okay...so here it is...December already! I've lost 45lbs. My question is this: Is it normal for the weightloss to have slowed sooooooo much?

I lost about 35lbs over the summer (had my surgery June 17th 2009). Since school started in sept, the weightloss is barely happening. I am happy that I'm still losing, but it's going so slow.

I lost 2 pounds since mid October...it's better than nothing but I feel like I should be losing more. I've been doing a lot of exercising  and getting lots of protein and water.

I do need a fill.....maybe that's the issue. Hopefully I can get that taken care of over winter break.

I just wanted to throw this out there. Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
*~*RacheL*~*

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past."

BooLicious
on 12/3/09 12:36 pm - PA
That stinks, but it could just be a standstill.  Maybe try something different to kick your body back into losing mode.  I don't know if you count and log your foods, but I would do that diligently just to get a firm hold on what you are eating and your calories are.  You are doing great though.  You can do it and oh, it definitely sounds like your due for a fill and that will probably make a huge difference and get that scaled moving a lttle faster for ya!!! 

Hang in there!!! 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Tom C.
on 12/3/09 10:32 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Rachel (and others) –

Stalls, or slows, are natural part of weight loss. It seems the body “catches on" to what we have been doing, and holds onto everything. After a while, the lost restarts and things go well.

However, stalls can also because by eating (a) too much (b) not enough. I know it sounds a little contradictory, and I will try to explain.

Too much: While we need to make sure we hit our protein requirements (60-80 grams, or whatever your Doctor told you), we need to make sure the carbs, calories, etc are “acceptable". Remember, you don’t want to make your 80 grams of protein by eating 4 gallons of ice cream or a starchy carb.

Not enough: Again, make sure you are meeting your daily protein requirements. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. The body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep itself functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

Some of us (me include) believe scales should be used only for fish or piano ... However, many others like to weight themselves regularly. They feel it helps keep them on track.

Either way, remember there are other “scales" you can use to monitor your success: your constant hunger reduction (eliminated); reduced clothing size; increase energy; re-familiarizing yourself to body-parts unseen for years (errr… toes) ; “common" activity becoming easier (walking, climbing steps), just feeling good about yourself; sleeping better (reduced snoring); the mirror; better medical exam results (lower cholesterol and/or blood pressure); etc.

Many may compare their lost to someone else’s, and get discouraged. The amount of weight lost is affected by many factors. Everyone loses weight at different rates. It has to do with age, gender, one’s weight, exercise, etc.. A 10 pound lost to one person could be as affected as a 40 pound lost to another. Think of it this way: If a 400-pound person loses 40 pounds; a 300-pound person loses 30 pounds, a 200-pound person loses 20 pounds, and a 100-pound person loses 10 pounds – the 400-pound person didn’t necessarily loose more weight than the others. All three lost 10% of their body weight. 

And sometimes it is not the number of pounds that someone loses in a specified period of time that is important. Remember, if you are toning up muscle – your weight loss may seem to have slowed (or stopped), when in fact you are replacing fat with muscle. Muscle is heavier then fat. Someone weighing 200 pounds with a body fat percentage of 25 is carrying around 50 pounds of extra fat. That same person weighing 200 pounds with 10 percent body fat would be carrying only 20 pounds of fat. So it’s not the number that is important.

Be proud of your lost. No matter how small it may seem. Remember, it’s better to lose 1/2 pound then to GAIN 1/8 pound.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Paulette L.
on 12/6/09 9:12 am
Hello Fellow Banded Friend.
Wanted to post as I have not beem here in months and a good friend reminded me of what an amazing site this is. So I was banded on June 10 (very close to your date) and have lots 35 pounds and while Iam not "wild" about that either I am happy about how I look an feel (yes those nsv). I just had a fill about 2 weeks ago and believe for the fist time since being banded I acutally have good restriction! So I am hoping that will help me a bit. But compared to me your doing amazing I am honestly green with envy so be pround of what you have done. But....I know what you mean about the stall. I am doing 95% of the things correctly (going to  the gym 5 days a week) but I do "eat carbs and junk" from time to time and I think that does me in. Anyway I am hoping with a good friend of mine to chat with now that I can get on the "wagon" better. Good luck with  your fill and remember not everything is measured by the scale alone. I went from a size 20 (tight) to sometimes a 14-16! Yeah me :)
Paulette

(start wt. 210, current 186, goal 150) Surgery Date: 6/10, Doctor Katz, PA

Most Active