Would you do it all over if you could???

realturtlelover
on 12/1/09 11:40 pm - Copeville, TX
REALIZE Band on 12/18/09 with
I was approved for surgery about a month ago and was told by BCBS I could choose whichever surgery i wanted. I felt that the sleeve was the best way for me to go. THen BCBS stated I could not have that. I really do not want to go the gastric bypass route. So my question to all of you is.....how is it working for you and if given the chance to go backward would you do the band again? Has it been successful for you? What is the biggest issue you have? Thanks in advance.
Lisa  //(*_*)\\

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away" George Carlin, Author Unknown
sunshine86
on 12/2/09 12:58 am
I would absolutely do it again in a heartbeat. 6 months out of surgery, I've been able to lose approx. 40% of my extra weight.... which is actually quite a bit faster than I expected.

My only advice would be to really research and talk to other patients. Post-op, I discovered a few things about being banded that nobody ever told me.

You really do have to eat SLOWLY.... otherwise you'll start burping uncontrollably like a trucker..... and I can tell you from experience, this can be rather embarrassing when you're giving presentations at work, LOL.

You might also experience "bubbly guts" from your dietary changes at first.... nothing that chewable Gas-X can't cure.... and for me it eventually went away.... but again, be aware that it's a possibility.

Also, follow portion guidelines. Even if you feel like you're fine in the moment.... if you overeat, you WILL regret it later. (Dry heaves, hiccups, burping, etc).

Overall, the benefits outweigh the risks.... just make sure that you're at least aware of the possible goofy side effects.... and that you're willing to follow all the crazy strict guidelines. :)
HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

realturtlelover
on 12/3/09 10:47 am - Copeville, TX
"The benefits outweigh the risks".......says it all. Thank you!
Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 12/2/09 5:27 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Hi Lisa,
I am only 5 weeks out.  At this point I would divinely do it again.  It has been great so far.  I went in yesterday for my first fill it went great.  I didn't want to go the bypass route either.  I wanted something safe and if down the road something happens and I get sick I would have it taken out.  You are only able to eat small amount but that is ok.  This is the first year I didn't gain weight during the holidays.   Good luck with you research.  Come back often and ask questions. 
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

realturtlelover
on 12/2/09 10:26 pm - Copeville, TX
Wendy,

Thanks for responding to my question. Do you find yourself hungry?

Lisa
Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 12/2/09 11:42 pm - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Lisa,
I would say the first 3 weeks I was not hungry. But I am hungry now. I have only had 1 fill.  I will have to get another one,  You might want to post this on the Lap band forum.  They is a lot of people on there that would have had the land for years.
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

BooLicious
on 12/2/09 10:32 am - PA
Wish I could give more of an experience answer as I just got my band on 9/16, but so far I am loving it.  Sometimes I wish I lost a little more, but I am losing consistently and quite good I must say.  So, I know I am doing it healhty and right.  Good luck on your journey and deciding.  We'll be here for ya! 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

realturtlelover
on 12/2/09 10:27 pm - Copeville, TX
Boo,

Thanks for responding to my question. Do you find yourself hungry?

Lisa
BooLicious
on 12/2/09 11:52 pm - PA
Right now my hunger is actually pretty controlled.  If I lose sight of my water or protein, I will notice my hunger sets in.  The head hunger is there sometimes, like another poster said.  I would think most surgeries would have that since it's all in the head though.  So, it is something to be aware of know we have to learn how to handle it and beat it.  I have done great so far, but like I said I'm just a newbie on this journey.  If you do go forward, don't wait till you have the surgery to start.  Start now!  Start counting, dieting, reading obesity books, lap band books.  It helped me tremendously and I felt myself WANTING it as I learned and started to understand obesity physically and mentally and even socially.  It really helped empower me so that when I started I was all ready ahead of the game.  :) 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

au.tigerfan
on 12/2/09 11:38 am - ashford, AL
well for me i still have doubts that i did the right thing. I have had a good result i think..im not were i thought i would be at this point in my journey but im so far from where i started. So for me its a love hate relationship with my band.

The one thing i cant seem to get a handle on is my head hunger and the need to eat sweets...im such a junkie.. bad habits are so very hard to change. So most days i have to take it one day at a time. When i go shopping its so wonderful to be able to shop in the normal section not the plus size or full figure section...kinda makes you wonder why they dont have a skinny section or an underweight section.

so to really sum it up ..no i dont regret my choice i only wish i had more self control.
DONNA         
Most Active