Band or Bypass

DianaLynn1
on 11/23/09 10:38 am
Hi all!  I am working on my 6 months insurance requirements prior to surgery.  I was set on the realize band until I went to the information session in October with the surgeon.  After hearing that many are not successful with the band, I began to switch my train of though to RNY.  I have 5 more months to make a decision, but i want feedback from those of  you who have been successful with the band.  I have 130 lb to lose.

Looking for any feedback you have to offer!

Thanks
Diana
DianaLynn    
BooLicious
on 11/23/09 1:07 pm - PA
I was set on RNY but then changed to band after going to the meetings.  I had a 140 pounds to loose and I feel confident that I will do it.  I have to believe I will or whats the point, right?  So, I am a newbie, but things are going good and I feel great so far and am losing weight just fine.  I am losing it slower then RNY but that is normal and how it is with the band.  I liked that idea of losing it healthier, but now that I am...I can't say I wouldn't love some quick loss here and there.  It's moving steadily DOWN though and that is what matters to me and I think it's going at a good pace.  I am following the rules though, I weigh, measure and log my food.  So, I am sure that helps. 

Both will be as much as you are willing to put into them.  They are different in how you loose weight, so your gonna have to dig down and find out which procedure will be better for you individually to loose weight.  OH is a great resource to get you started, but you gotta decide for you.  Listen to your instincts too. 

Good luck in your decision and journey.  I am sure you will be successful with either procedure you choose.  :)

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Barble
on 11/24/09 2:10 am - South Lyon, MI
Hi,I'm with Boocakes. I had the Realize band 9/18/09. I've lost 41 Pounds, 8 the day before surgery and have 84 more to go. I'm losing steadily but at times I wish I would lose it faster. I'm an impatient person so that doesn't surprise me. I wanted to lose slowly and exercise to minimize the sags.  In hind sight I'm 46 and not sure if the skin will bounce back like I had hoped.  I don't have a big problem with sweets, it's portion control for me.,so I like the flexablity with the band.  I was also afraid of a more invasive surgery.  Its a big head game and you have to do whats right for you.  My neighbor had RNY over a year ago and absolutely loves it. She reached her goal,  95 # in about 5 months and looks great, no saggys. Good luck with your decision,  Barb
DianaLynn1
on 11/24/09 2:58 am
Thanks Boo and Barbie!  I really appreciate the feedback!  I'm willing to take the time to lose the weight with the band, but my fear is that I will stop losing before I reach my goal.  My surgeon really talks up the RNY.  He states that those who have the RNY will lose 70% of the excess weight and only 50% with the band.  I have a 130# left to lose and want to lose as much if not all 130 #. 

I am glad I have the 5 months left to hear from others like yourself to make the best decision for myself!

Thanks again for responding to my post!

Diana
DianaLynn    
BooLicious
on 11/24/09 10:17 am - PA
Well, it is important to remember that them numbers are averages ya know.  My friends who has RNY and loves it and is very happy with her decision has lost and maintained about 50% of her weight and does struggle with regain constantly.  So, I think it truly is hard to look at others and know what to expect because you may be a huge success with band and rny or one or the other.  Does that make sense?  So, keep searching, asking and looking but then try to figure out yourself and what you need and want.  While my ulitmate goal is to lose 140 pounds, I would settle with losing 110 if that is where my body stops.  I don't plan to stop...I am going for the gold.  I do have 3 goal weights per my surgeon.  My ultimate goal weight, my goal weight and then my happy weight.  I know that probably sounds dumb to some, but that is what I have and as long as I fall in between the three 140 to 170 then I will be happy and after being banded and actually living this, I feel very confident I will land within that range.  So, I was open on my final weight, I just wanted to be able to move, be healthy, get fit and be able to wear normal clothes and feel good about myself as a woman, a mother and a wife.  So, the band seemed ok for me.  I do think I will get to my ultimate goal and that is what I am shooting for.  You might need to sit and write out what your specific goals are.  If you are dead set on a weight, write it down and go from there and which procedure you think will lead you to the most success.  Just remember success comes in many forms, not just your final weight.  :) 

Also, like you said, you got 5 months to ha**** out but I have a feeling you all ready know what your gonna do and may just be scared to claim it for fear your going the wrong direction.  I felt that way for a while.  Sometimes we have to trust our instincts and just go with it and don't look back.  Whether its bypass or band, you are gonna do fantastic and the journey will take you great places.  I truly wish you the best!!! 

Boo
Boo

12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/09 3:18 pm - Elkhorn City, KY
Hi Boo
You are  a very smart lady. I am going to have the band. I 'm waiting for my aprrovall. I also don't want to lose the weight to fast because  i am on so much
meds. and have a low potassium problem among others.'I am worried about  sagging skin i am 221  my goal weight is 130.
Wish me luck
Sherry

BooLicious
on 11/26/09 3:12 am - PA
See, you knew all along 
Boo

12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc