Emory Bariatric Center?

msparker0820
on 11/23/09 12:03 pm - GA
 I decided to go with the Dr. Lin @Emory Bariatric Center for my weight loss needs. Has anyone used opifast , medifast or similiar program to prepare for surgery.  I am also looking for people  who have used the Emory Bariatric Center to share their experience so I just know what to truly expect ... the seminar only provided limited info... there is nothing like hearing from the patients...  

My goal is to lose as much weight as possible pre-op and re-learn how to eat post -op ....  I am looking for ideas on how prepare myself to eat less so it won't be such a shock to body post-op.
I know know that three months will come go in the blink of an eye and I just want to be prepared mentally and physically as best as possible. Thank you all, for time in advance!!!
BooLicious
on 11/23/09 11:22 pm - PA

I did the 3 month pre-op diet too and I felt like it really did help me going into the surgery.  Just changing your eating habits to a healhty lifestyle helps you tremendously because you've all ready made the change and are not hit with it all post op.  I also started logging my foods in my pre-op diet cause I think that is REALLY important in knowing what your are consuming, especially AFTER the surgery and when you get to normal foods.  Thinking back to all my diets over the years, the ones I was always successful were the ones I did right down the foods.  Now I log it all online and there are a ton of sites you can use. 

I didn't do any of the opti-fast, medifast, etc.  I know lots of people did do them right before and leading up to surgery.  If your not required to do one, I would start with just changing your eating habits so you can start changing overall so that you can live with the new lifestyle post band, as you won't live on one of them diets.  Start thinking fresh fruit, veggies, meats, dairy, switch all carbs to 100% whole wheat.  Get a scale and start weighing and measuring and get a good handle on amounts.  Also, buy a book or two on gastric banding and a book on obesity.  I read, read, read and it really got me into it and I went into it all very informed and prepared. 

They would be my suggestions if you really want to use these 3 months to prep and I commend you for doing so.  Good luck on your journey!!!  Keep us posted.

Boo

Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Most Active