to tell or not to tell

harley chick
on 11/22/09 1:30 pm
What did most of you do about telling friends, co-workers about your surgery?  Did you come clean, or keep it to yourself? 

Tom C.
on 11/22/09 9:17 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

I have been telling everyone about it since Day 1 !! Then again, my entire life is an open book.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Twinels2
on 11/22/09 10:05 pm - Morgantown , PA
I can't hide it from most people in my life. I am pondering the same question though about acquaintances and such. I don't think I will be telling too many people. I don't feel I need to. I don't want to here negative input. It would most likely stress me out to have to explain my choice to people who don't really understand what it is like to be overweight and/or who don't know a thing about WLS. That is just my thought, of course I haven't even been approved by insurance yet so we shall see.
What ever you do don't doubt your disision. You know what is best for you.

dovalevin
on 11/23/09 6:25 am - Los Angeles, CA
I only told a select number of people before (boss, co-workers who knew I was out and my immediate family). I didn't want the pressure of people telling me their opinion about what I should do.

Now that it is done, I have told a few more people. I don't tell too many people though. Once the weight starts to come off more, and people ask me, I will tell the truth. I've just felt that I didn't need everyone's expectations putting pressure on me.

Hope that helps.

Dova

BooLicious
on 11/23/09 6:29 am - PA
I told people I am close too...some family, my sisters, a couple friends.  These were all people who knew my struggles with my weight physcially and emotionally.  I didn't make it open to everyone cause I just wasn't ready for some of the looks, or what I probably worry too much about.  In time, when I am ready, I will tell people but I just wanted to be able to focus on the loss and not feel like I was an observation and being judged.  I know it might not be the case but it's what I chose and I feel good about.  You have to remember which ever way you go, it's up to you and if you want it to be a private issue you handle till your ready, then you have the right to that and there is nothing wrong with that.  You also can tell everyone and hope that you'll gain even more support and love to get your through.  I don't think there is any wrong answer, I think it depends on you and what you want and need. 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

wildheart63
on 11/23/09 8:42 am - IL
I TOLD NO-ONE I DIDN'T WANT THE FOOD POLICE ON EVERYTHING I EAT...PLUS THIS IS MY JOURNEY...
LORI

Dorathea
on 11/24/09 3:35 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12
I told everyone, but I got really lucky and everyone was really supportive.  I still let people feel where my port is because I get all sorts of questions about how the band works and how it is filled.

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

donnarickman
on 12/16/09 6:01 am - Ontario, CA
WOW!!!  I thought I was the only one who does that!!!  Its a great conversation piece!!  LOL!!!  I tell everyone!!!  I am so much happier and look so much better even in this short month!!!

Barble
on 11/24/09 5:31 am - South Lyon, MI
I guess I kind of picked and chose who I told. I told my family, some of my husbands, most friends, everyone at my work(they woulld have found out anyway, small office). At my 2nd job, I only told management. Everyone has been very supportive and the  2 that  questioned it,  respected the fact that it was my decision and just cared about me.   As more people ask b/c of the weight loss, I tell some, it depends if I know them well enough, if other are around etc... I'm an open book like Tom and was well informed on the surgery,  but didin't want to deal with some people's negative energy. We know who those people are. As for the food police it actually keeps me in check. But then again I didn't tell overbearing people.  It's your journey and your choice. We are always here to support and not judge one another. Hope that wasn't too wordy.  Barb
harley chick
on 11/24/09 12:02 pm
Thanks for the replies.  I'm still debating on who to tell.    I'm in the process of the 6 month diet.  I have 2 more months to go, and am trying not to lose too much at this point, so I still qualify. .  So I am playing the game, and hoping that I get approval.  I don't want to be judged for my decision, but I also work in a close environment, and am afraid that I will have to come clean just to get my nutrition as necessary.  I really would rather keep it to my self, but with requesting time off from work, and the meal timing I probably will have to fess up. 
Most Active