First Fill Question

teacher150
on 11/21/09 12:40 am
I just had my first fill Thursday. 5ccs in my 11cc band. I still don't feel any restriction. Is that strange? Should I see my dr immediately or just give it some time?
Thanks in advance for answering. I just found this forum and it is a blessing to know I am not alone in this fantastic journey.
Happy Thanksgiving!

loozin_it
on 11/21/09 7:06 am
I got 4cc's for my first fill and I didn't feel any restriction. I just got my second fill of 2 more cc's this week and I still have very little restriction. I'm not sure if this is normal, just wanted to let you know you're not alone!
Pixieland
on 11/21/09 9:46 am - Davison, MI
I just had my first fill last Tues and got the same as you...5ccs in my 11cc band.  I don't really feel any restriction either.  In my support group the other night they told me to give it some time...that it could take up to a week to feel anything as it might take a while to travel from the tube to the band.  I have no idea if that is true or not...but thats all I have to go on.  I go back to the Dr. on Dec. 8...so hopefully he will put a bit more in then.
Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

BooLicious
on 11/21/09 11:53 am - PA
I just had my first fill on Thursday too!!!  Cool.  I am noticing a little more restriction, but definitely not what it probably should be.  I'd maybe give it a week or two, just to make sure, but if you know you need more then I would call the Dr. and see what he says.  He might tell you just to come in.  I have my December appointment and I'll probably just wait till then, but that is more a babysitting/convenience reason.  Never hurts to call and ask.  :) 

Congrats and welcome to the board.  Nice to have you!!!  :D

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

teacher150
on 11/29/09 10:20 pm
I called my dr today as I have still not noticed the restriction and have gained 3 pounds. I know that I shouldn't panic about 3 pounds but all of the old fears rise to the surface. I am going in to see him on Wednesday. How are you doing?

BooLicious
on 11/30/09 12:13 am - PA
I am doing OK, I haven't had much hunger and then yesterday I was hungry all day but I missed my am protein shake, had a very low protein lunch so I am wondering and thinking that did it.  Today I am packing on the protein.  :D  So, hopefully that help.s 

Good luck Wednesday, I hope he will give you antoher fill!!!  Please keep us posted on how it goes and your making out.  I'm in your boat here!  :)

Boo
Boo

12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc

dvolumptious1
on 11/21/09 9:34 pm

Same for me, got 5 cc in 11 cc Realize Band and I feel no difference at all and this was 11/13, exactly 1 mth to the day after my surgery. I've been doing very well controlling hunger on my own. I just wanted to know what it feels like to have restriction. My doc told me yesterday when I ran into him at work that its normal because I'm just beginning. He says I won't be successful unless I work out anyway and the band is such a small percentage of what does anything for me in this journey. I feel as if he believes this type of surgery is pointless. (he seems to be such a strong bypass advocate) I've lost 48 lbs so far (including what I lost prior to surgery) so I can't wait to be a success story and represent the band at the same time. I see him back on 12/18 and I can't wait to see how much more he will give me and if I'll actually feel something this time. My coworker has the lab band and she can't handle 2cc's. She went back and forward having cc's removed and added. She has really bad acid reflux and can't eat bread at all. Her band has absolutely no problem getting restriction. I'm beginning to wonder if the Lap Band is better than the Realize Band.

BooLicious
on 11/30/09 12:19 am - PA
That stinks your Dr. feels that way, but you are right, you are gonna be a SUCCESS and show him you are doing it.  I think we need to exercise to loose or maintain any weight loss, so that is kind of a moot point to me.  :) 

You are doing really good so far, so you should be proud.  From all I have read, I still think the bands are the same for the most part.  I do think the Realize band take a little longer to get to restriction, but as long as we get there I will be a-ok with that.  There are lots of lapbanders who need the upper end of fill level for restriction so I guess it really is a person by person thing.  My surgeon told me some people are just more sensitive to it then others, so it's the band and not the person.  So, who knows?  We will get there though.  I go in a couple weeks and I am guessing he'll give me 1 more cc. 

Let us know  how you make out too!!!! 

Boo

Boo

12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc

Deborah T.
on 11/21/09 11:49 pm - GA
Your First Fill is what they call Trial and Error.  They don't want it to be to Tight or to Loose.  I was the same way on my First Fill.  When you get your Second and Third Fill you will have restriction.

Just remember to get Your Protein, Vits, and Liquid in each day.  I can't Stress how Important this is to each and every one of us.

Hope this Helps.

GETTING HEALTHY ONE POUND AT A TIME

Deborah Turrell
Obesity Help Support Group Leader/Obesity Help Life Coach

Most Active