What is the maximum fill?

mcneala
on 11/22/09 2:08 am

Hi all,
What is the maximum fill level for a realize band?  I currently have 7cc and  I know the Realize band holds a total of 9cc, but will they fill it that full? 
I will ask my surgeon on Dec 22 at my 1year checkup, but was hoping for some insight before then.  My PA (she does the fills) has previously said they don't like to fill past 7cc's since there  is some danger of slippage when a band is too tight.  Is this generally a case by case situation or is this the guideline from the manufacturer?
I have been struggling for almost a year and not losing much weight.  I feel some restriction, but can still eat 2 cups of food, even though I know I shouldn't.  I try to behave myself, and I eat a whole lot less than before the surgery but it is so discouraging to see so little progress.  I have a few foods that don't go down well, but for the most part I can eat all the same things I used to eat.

Thanks,

Amanda

Tom C.
on 11/22/09 3:17 am, edited 11/22/09 3:36 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Amanda,

I would never want to go against what your PA says, because they are a professional, and should know more then I. So what I am about to say is nothing more then a "layman's" point of view from research. 

From what I have read (and what has been told to me) the Realize band can hold either 9cc (the first generation) or 11cc (the newer "C" version). Each band is made to be filled to it's maximum limit (now some folks say that an extra cc can be put in either - but most Doctor's won't do that).

No matter what size band you have (or even if you have a lapband) all bands "close" to the same diameter.

As for increase risks, again some Doctors may have better knowledge concerning this, since they may have seen it more often with their experiences vs. what the literature states.

You may want to contact Realize themselves for the true answer. I could see if I can get you a contact if need be.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
mcneala
on 11/22/09 3:26 am
Thanks Tom,
That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, but just couldn't find anywhere online.  I work for a medical device manufacturer, so I know sometimes devices are used "off-label".  Of course I will address it with my surgeon and PA and make sure that I didn't miss something.  I am hoping that another .5 to 1cc will get me to a good place. At least with the info you have given me, I know not to completely lose hope that this band will work for me.  Thanks so much for your time! 
Amanda
James M.
on 11/24/09 10:25 pm - SAGINAW, MN
I currently have 8cc in my 11cc band and when I was in for my last fill my doc said that there is no danger going to capacity of the band and  he does fill over 11cc on occasion,   There seems to be a big variety of opinions even among the surgeons that install them. but my doc has done tons of them and I do trust him.

GOOD LUCK
MARTY

Most Active