FIRST BITE IS THE WORST

stacy A.
on 11/19/09 2:58 pm - rockwood, TN
Post Date: 11/19/09 10:52 pm
I was and still am having the first bite syndrome. i went to my dr nov 11th. i was at a 6 and told him i really didnt think i needed an adjustment. I told him it was harder for me to try to eat anything when i get up. It was maybe 4 bites very well chewed; and i have alot of problem with feeling like its going to come  up after the few bites. I eat a couple of tums til I burp and then I'm fine . As the day goes on i can eat more. I had my band may of 09. I have lost 58 lbs. which I am pleased with. but my dr advised me to go ahead and adjust up to a 7 with the needle still in i stood in front of tha floroscope where they watch it go thru to make sure eveything was ok. 1 sip of chalk {YUCK} A nd 3 small sips of water and i had that nasty slim back of your throat feeling. I told him that was to much. He put me at 6.5. but I seem to be doing the same thing except i may eat 3 bites b4 I feel like I'm gonna throw up. then by supper time I can eat normally but extremely slow. and I crave popcorn all the time. I know thats weird. but just wondering if this sounds normal to anyone. Not tha popcorn thing. but the not being able to eat muc. my dr says yes. He was one of the first ones to ever have lap band surgery. thats what made him change to a bariatric surgeon because it changed his life. So I know he has walked in his patients shoes . And I do have a hard time choosing What to eat because I'm not sure. Can anyone offer suggestions on what I should be eating now and if anyone is experincing the same things?!?!
STACY A
Tom C.
on 11/19/09 10:19 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Stacy,

What you are experiencing isn't uncommon. It happens to a lot of folks, especially women. At a recent together, one of the women mentioned “Women Early Morning Bloating" which is in the morning women’s body tend to “bloat up" – which is natural (I guess) . That could be a reason you have issues eating in the morning

Also, (while I know it goes against the rules) you may want to try drinking some warm tea before you eat to relax your throat and/or stomach (try 30 minutes before eating so you follow the rules. If this doesn't work, you may want to try 10 to 15 minutes before eating - but always ask your Doctor first before you take any advice on the board)

Finally, it could mean your band is too tight. You may want to have some taken out (maybe .01-.03 cc’s) and see what happens.

As mentioned in another post, for more information concerning FBS - see this Google search ..  

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=First+Bite+Syndrome+&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g2

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
BooLicious
on 11/20/09 1:04 am - PA
It's surprising he would push a fill if you told him your sliming and pb'ing.  That don't sound good.  I'm still new, so maybe that is normal, but it don't sound it from reading on here. 

I know this is dumb, but are you chew chew chew'ing 25 times and taking small bites?  I know I still struggle with that and I just got my first fill of 4cc's yesterday so  I am gonna have to pay better attention. 

I hope you feel better.  Oh, and I am tighter in the morning, I can't drink as quickly as I can later in the day.

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

BooLicious
on 11/20/09 1:05 am - PA
Oh and congrats on the 58 pounds!!!  That is awesome.  Way to go!  :D

Boo
Boo

12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc

stacy A.
on 11/23/09 2:44 pm - rockwood, TN
Thanks for the onfo and thanks boo for the congrates. i have heard of the warm tea or coffee. i did use coffee a couple of days at work it did help. and boo i think u were right I wasn't really paying that much attention to the chewing. Since getting to eat solid food again . I have really slowed down and started to chew better. It has helped alot. also when my dr does a fill he has u on clear liquids for the remainer of that day and 2 days following. so that does help alot with the swelling to go down.  then by the 3rd u r on mushys the 4th u c if you can tolarate solid if not back to mushy for one more day then try again. also 4cc's for ur 1st fill. that has to b really rough. I hope all is going well. I do think my brain may have finally caught up with my mouth.LOL Now when i eat my brain remembers to tell my mouth SLOWER CHIC!!
STACY A
BooLicious
on 11/23/09 11:09 pm - PA

That's good Stacy!!!  I'm glad to hear things are going better.  Hopefully my brain starts telling me chew and slow down more often.  I have been doing much better since my fill, but sometimes I still think I'm not chewing enough.  I'm not giving up though, it will eventually become habit.  :D 

Boo

Boo

12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc

Most Active