Recipe for a Great Dip

Barbara C.
on 11/14/09 11:34 pm - Raleigh, NC

Here's a recipe for a dip that I make that will be a hit at any event you attend and won't make you feel guilty when you and your friends and family enjoy it.

I use a non-fat sour cream and low-fat cottage cheese and greek yogurt, but of course, you can adjust the fat levels up or down to suit your tastes and dietary requirements. I also make this use freshly chopped green onions instead of the carmelized onions and that's very good too. 

I hope that you will enjoy. 

Caramelized French Onion Dip

This low calorie, high protein dip is a wonderful way to serve a chip and dip that you can enjoy without guilt and remorse later. While great with conventional potato chips, it's wonderful served with carrot 'chips' and freshly blanched broccoli.

Tbs

extra-virgin olive oil

Tbs

butter

onions, chopped

cube

beef bouillon cubes

1/2

cup

water

Tbs

Splenda, brown 'sugar'

pinch

Black pepper

tsp

Worcestershire sauce

cup

non-fat sour cream

each

low-fat greek yogurt, 6 ounce

pinch

Salt, (optional), to taste

Tbs

chopped chives

cup

lowfat cottage cheese

Place a medium skillet over medium to medium high heat and add the extra-virgin olive oil and the butter. Melt butter into oil then add onions and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bouillon cube to the pan with 1/2 cup water, Splenda "Brown Sugar" and coo****il it "melts" coats onions, stirring frequently, 20 minutes. Add more water as necessary to prevent scorching. Watch the onions carefully, you want them to develop a wonderful mahogany color. Season the onions with pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl to cool.

Mix the sour cream, cottage cheese and greek yogurt in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the onions and mix well. Add salt to taste. Serve chilled. Garnish with chives.

Servings: 16

Cooking Times

Preparation Time: 5 minutes

Cooking Time: 30 minutes

Nutrition Facts

Serving size: 1/16 of a recipe (2.3 ounces).

Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.

Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

Amount Per Serving

Calories

Calories From Fat (62%)

% Daily Value

Total Fat 5.11g

8%

Saturated Fat 2.76g

14%

Cholesterol 10.01mg

3%

Sodium 132.82mg

6%

Potassium 64.61mg

2%

Total Carbohydrates 3.22g

1%

Fiber 0.28g

1%

Sugar 1.26g

Protein 3.69g

7%

Tips

While it is good served immediately, the flavors develop well if it is allowed to sit for several hours before serving.

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Tooty
on 11/15/09 5:26 am - Germantown, TN
YUMMY...This sounds delicious!! I can't wait to try it out!

Thanks for posting it.
Cathlena - 39, 4'11"   Start - 210  3/31/09    BMI  Start: 42.4    
 LilySlim - (OdX3)
Most Active