Failure

Surfingouse
on 11/11/09 1:23 am - Valrico, FL
I don't want to be a downer but, I am 5'4 214lbs and tried to gt my Dr. to undestan before surgery that I don't over eat. In fact I only eat once a day, He assured me that the band would take care of my weight issue. 'Trust me'  In March they finally realized the port was upside down and had to replace it.  I had two more fills and now it is tight enough, but I never have a full filling.

Well a year later, I am stll 214 and very unhappy.  Food is now a big issue in my life and it hurts to eat.  I can't eat dinner with my family and enjoy it.  I am very frustrated and looking into having it removed. Maybe this is where my body wants to be and I have to get used to it.
hotred1
on 11/11/09 1:39 am - Chesterfield, VA

Hi Surfingouse,

Sorry to hear that you are not having a good experience with your band.  I'm just wondering have you had your thyroid checked?  I was concerned about this happening to me because I have hypothyroidism, but my endocrinologist has assured me that my levels are normal and that I should be able to loose weight like everyone else.  If you haven't had this checked I would strongly recommend it.

Surfingouse
on 11/11/09 1:45 am - Valrico, FL
Have had it checked many times.
BooLicious
on 11/12/09 6:40 am - PA
HotRed, I am hypothyroid and have been for like 14 years.  I can loose weight, I just feel it can move a little slower and there is not as much room for error.  I am doing great right now.  My Hypothyroid is treated and I take synthroid.  Just an fyi. 

To the OP, I am sorry for your struggles and hope you find a way to resolve it.  Hang in there.

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Tom C.
on 11/11/09 3:01 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Surfingouse,

Sorry to read about your experience. Also sorry to read that the Doctor "heard" what you said, but didn't "listen". With that said, I need to ask you some questions - and you need to be honest.

Are you following the rules? I know you said you used to eat once a day (I was the same way) and of course at that one time I would eat out of control. WHY? Because my body was "craving" food, and trying to "preserve" itself by storing as much as it could because it didn't know when the next meal would be.

The one concept we need to learn while trying to lose weight is we must eat. I know it's sound strange, but it's true. Now I don't mean overeat - but eat 3 - 5 small meals. This way your body keeps burning off the food it has, and doesn't store it.

So make sure you are doing the following:

(A) Taking in at least 64 ounces of fluids (non-carbonated; caffeine free)

(B) Taking in 60 to 80 grams of protein

(C) No drinking 30 minutes before; during; or 30 minutes after a meal

(D) Eat slowly - a meal should take approximately 25 minutes

There are other stuff, but just make sure you're doing this.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active