Head Hunger for the First TIme WOW

waverly79
on 11/7/09 6:20 am
 Since Starting my liquid diet about 4 weeks ago and was banded and after. I have not had head hunger, honestly I could not even relate totally to what it was exactly. Well I have today and It is way easy for me to recongnize. 

I am not hungry at all but I want to eat, So weird to really know you are not hungry and still want to eat. I am going to have to say I must have been doing this before the band, but most likely never paid it any mind. 

I feel like I am just going to loose and start cramming food into my mouth like cookie monster. 

I am expecting my period any day and I pray to god that give me some relief from this craziness and that is the reason I was up almost a pound this morning. 

For now I am deep breathing, saying dont eat  in my head.

Question: 
Do we think it is ok to eat a small amount of bad food to get rid of feeling and perhaps keep a binge from happening? 
Pixieland
on 11/7/09 10:53 am - Davison, MI
I was banded 3 weeks ago on the 16th and have not had any physical hunger but I do know exactly what you mean about 'head hunger'.   What I have tried to do is get my mind occupied on something else...or I will have a sugar free popsicle.  They have only 30 calories, 7 carbs and they are 'THE BOMB!!'   If I absolulety have to have something as a snack...I have one of those.  

Best Wishes to you!!
Leslie 

My mantra:  Each day is an new opportunity to be happier, healthier and better than the day before.  I will live each day with enthusiam and be thankful for the many blessings that surround me. I will do my best to pay it forward whenever possible

Tom C.
on 11/8/09 10:22 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Waverly,

Many of my female friend experience the same symptoms before TOM arrives (and no not me). Many of my male friends experience the same symptoms once a month too. It seems to be normal. Just remember you need to be in control.

As for you asking about eating a small amount of ‘bad’ food – I would ask your Doctor and/or Nutritionist about this. I could give you my opinion, but without knowing you and your eating habits anything I can suggest may be wrong.

Since you’re so new to this, I would stay “stay the course" and follow the rules. But your doctor may think differently.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
bandaide09
on 11/10/09 1:09 am
Oh, girl, I know exactly what you mean.  I have had it before, but lately I just want to have a binge.  Last week I got in the caramel popcorn from the Boy Scouts that we had bought from my grandsons.  I felt so guilty.  I am just going to try to keep anything like that out of the house.  I also try to get my mind on something else.  It is really weird to know you are not hungry, but you just want to eat.  Of course, I used to do it all the time before my surgery.  It is really scary now.  I used to lose weight and when I had lost a good bit I would get on a binge and blow it and gain it back.  It scares me to think of doing that now.  I just try to talk to myself and get myself back on track.  Good luck on your journey.  Let's keep fighting that feeling.

HW: 243  SW: 226  CW: 160   GW: 150 

BooLicious
on 11/12/09 6:47 am - PA
Waverly,

I have had this happen too and it does suck.  It was quite an eye opener how real it is and how damaging it can be post surgery.  I have a sweet tooth and when my TOM arrived, it was SO HARD,not to mention Halloween.  I had a plan for Halloween though, my daughter got 1-2 pieces a day for one week and the rest was removed from the house, I was gonna eat her picks.  Me and DH only keep healthy food and snacks in the house because to do anything else I feel would be setting me up for failure.  Last week I had terrible cravings and wanted something so bad, I decided last Thursday that I was gonna treat myself to go out and get a small ice cream and I did JUST THAT.  It was so empowering though, cause it was a DECISION and it was a controlled one and that felt SO GOOD.  So, while I think the cravings and urges will always be there we need to come up with a healthy and controlled way to handle it.  Also, I am on full foods and am almost 8 weeks out and that was my first choice outside the normal meal plan.  I am right back on my diet and calorie intake I need to be.  Before the band, I would have used that ice cream as an excuse to blow the rest of the week, but I didn't and that felt really good.  So, I think it's possible, but like Tom said, we are all different and handle things different so you have to find what you need and will work for you, I would wait a few weeks though. 

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Most Active