To weigh or not to weigh

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/09 7:00 pm
Hi Everyone!
I am 3 weeks out and find myself weighing everyday.  I kinda feel like I am addicted to it.  I wake up, say my morning prayers, and head to the scale every morning.  I feel like it keeps me on track, but I also feel like maybe I am doing it too much.
Does anyone else have similar feelings? Has anyone gone through this? If you have how did you stop and how did it make you feel to not know your weight each day?  
Thanks for all your input

ksmidnite
on 11/7/09 7:44 pm - centereach, NY
I had RNY and not the band, but I think it is the same in this instance. I do not weigh my self everyday as a matter fact I have not gotten on a scale since August 31st. That is me though. I think it is a personal preference. In the beggining I was weighing myself everyday and then beating myself up for not losing weight everyday. If you are questioning yourself maybe you should do it every week and then see how it feels. Praying for you.

God Bless you
Karyn

Livewell
on 11/7/09 8:19 pm - Chatham, NJ
Hi there,

I weighed myself every single day as I was losing . . . in fact, sometimes twice a day.  For me, it kept me accountable and really taught me a lot about how my body holds onto water and other foods. 

As long as you understand that things like salt, carbs, water, TOM, etc. can affect your daily weight and you get motivated vs. discouraged by tracking so closely, you will be fine.  If you are the type to fret over the number on the scale, then you may want to cut back and weigh only once a week.

Personally, I think that weighing once a week is potentially more dangerous because you set up an expectation for weightloss and any one of the items that I listed above could still affect your weight on that particular day.  If you weigh everyday, you pretty much know exactly how your body reacts to things, so I think that you actually wind up worrying less over time.  But, that's just my opinion and everyone is different.  Do what works best for you and good luck!

jenjengrins
on 11/7/09 10:16 pm - Olathe, KS
I want to say something that may put this in perspective.  I would put the scale in a place you only go once in a while.  Not in the bathroom.  I wouldn't weigh every day.  One of the things I realized in my weightloss journey is that the scale isn't your enemy, but you have non-scale victories.  I used to not be able to touch my toes, now I can go way between my legs and touch the ground.  I used to have to prop my foot up to tie my shoe.  No more of that! :)

I'm not like everyone else and havent gotten on the scale and gained weight even when I weighed every day.  As long as you are eating what you are supposed to within a calorie range and when you can start more exercise than just walking you'll do fine.

The scale isn't an enemy and doesnt always necessarily reflect the work you have done.  I am down to an XL from a 4XL and 32/34w to 18w.  No scale can show those successes. 

Keep up the good work.  For you, weigh the same time maybe a couple a times a week rather than every day!  I was like you in the beginning and it just frustrated me when for 5 days of boxing and eating right I'd only lose ounces.  Then a couple of days off the scale, viola I lost 3 lbs.  The scale can trick your mind!

Keep up the good work though and good luck with your journey!

7.8 cc in a 10 cc band, Started at 378 lbs
Goodbye 300 forever and ever! 07/18/2009

Tummy Tuck August 13, 2010

waverly79
on 11/8/09 6:16 am
 I feel the same way with the scale. I love to weigh myself every morning. I do think it is a great way for me to understand how my body reacts to food. In these early stages I feel like it helps with my motivation, because I have lost any restriction I have had from the surgery swelling and I am awaiting to get my first fill. So each and every morning it gives me just a little giddy up as I go down stairs to start sucking down those protein drinks.

I also am  a little bit of shock. Sometimes I will weigh myself get off get back on because I cant believe I have lost so much weight already. 

Maybe at some point when I start to slow down with the weight loss the scale will have to be limited, but right now were best friends. 

devvon
on 11/8/09 9:15 am - Philadelphia, PA
I told you I was the same way I had to remove the scale from my home it was hard not to weigh myself  though
Bebe33
on 11/8/09 11:22 am - Australia
 I was doing this everyday too and I was obsessed' so now ive gone to every 2 to 3 days especially when my monthly friend visits' as thats when Ive struggled so far to lose weight with the monthlies. I'm working out like crazy. I' m trying a different approach this week with food.
Pilar12
on 11/8/09 2:19 pm
I think you are so excited about your weight loss after so long not being able to lose that you have formed this attachment to your scale.

I think you should weigh about twice a week and use a couple of pairs of jeans of diferent sizes to see how great your body is changing.

Tom C.
on 11/8/09 8:59 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

I hate “the scale". IMHO there are other “scales" you can use to monitor your success: your constant hunger reduction (eliminated); reduced clothing size; increase energy; re-familiarizing yourself to body-parts unseen for years (errr… toes) ; “common" activity becoming easier (walking, climbing steps), just feeling good about yourself; sleeping better (reduced snoring); the mirror; better medical exam results (lower cholesterol and/or blood pressure); etc.

One reason I hate the scale is because ma
ny people compare their lost to someone else’s, and get discouraged. The amount of weight lost is affected by many factors. Everyone loses weight at different rates. It has to do with age, gender, one’s weight, exercise, etc.. A 10 pound lost to one person could be as affected as a 40 pound lost to another. Think of it this way: If a 400-pound person loses 40 pounds; a 300-pound person loses 30 pounds, a 200-pound person loses 20 pounds, and a 100-pound person loses 10 pounds – the 400-pound person didn’t necessarily loose more weight than the others. All three lost 10% of their body weight. Noticed, I started at 435 pounds. So my weight loss, while number wise may seem a lot, could be the “same result" if someone started at a lower weight and lost less “total amount" of pounds

And sometimes it is not the number of pounds that someone loses in a specified period of time that is important. Remember, if you are toning up muscle – your weight loss may seem to have slowed (or stopped), when in fact you are replacing fat with muscle. Muscle is heavier then fat. Someone weighing 200 pounds with a body fat percentage of 25 is carrying around 50 pounds of extra fat. That same person weighing 200 pounds with 10 percent body fat would be carrying only 20 pounds of fat. So it’s not the number that is important.

But with all this said, I know scales can be important to keep on "focused". So I weigh myself at least once a month (on the date I had the band) and maybe once other time - but no more then twice a month
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
BooLicious
on 11/10/09 11:07 am - PA
I'm kind of like Waverly and LiveWell.  I know my body is gonna fluctuate so I don't get upset at the scale, but I fing it interesting seeing how my body works with fluids, exercise, morning to night time.  If I did or do start to get upset or annoyed though I will probably cut the scale to once a week because it is not worth getting upset about and changing your moods through the week.  I guess it just helps keep me accountable right now.  We all find our own thing.  :)

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Most Active