Dumping

btownk
on 11/5/09 2:41 am

When in the hospital yesterday after being banded, I was drinking sips of water,  and I got nauseated, the cold and hot feeling you get before throwing - up and my mouth started salivating,  Is this normal?  Is this dumping?  Did anyone else get this?  It happened 3 times, was I drinking too fast or too much?

Karen
believeinme
on 11/5/09 5:05 am
This may be similar to the "feeling " of dumping but it could not have been.
I don't have much experience as a bandster( just had surgery one week ago) but I know the dumping is caused by sugar and fat pouring into the intestine too quickly.  I think that was just a response to possibly too much water or too fast as you said.

good luck, see you on the journey
btownk
on 11/5/09 7:28 am
How are you feeling one week out?  Are you on soft food yet?  I'm still on liquids but have not tried anything besides water yet.  I wish you luck too.
believeinme
on 11/5/09 7:34 pm
Karen,

I'm feeling very good!  Walking on treadmill too.  Glad to have taken the whole week off after as well.

Just yesterday I went to pureed and it worked out well, and tasted good too  :)
BooLicious
on 11/5/09 10:56 am - PA

I'm not a Dr, but I don't think it's dumping either.  I felt nauseous and was salivating at different times and had trouble sipping for like 2-3 days.  Ugh, it was bad, but it just passed and then I was fine.  You'll feel better soon.  Move around, walk a little...it will get better with each new day.

Congrats on your new band!!!  :D

Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Tom C.
on 11/6/09 12:36 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Karen,

Remember, while the band is empty when you first have it "installed" - the operations, and "device" around the stomach will/may cause some inflammation of the stomach, hence making it difficult to "pass" some things. This is the MAJOR reason Doctor's tell you to drink "liquids" the first week (or so). Imagine trying to get anything "more solid" through - ewwwwww.

My advice, take "baby sips" and wait about 10 to 15 minutes in between sip to ensure everything is fine. Within a few days, the swelling should go down and you should be ok.

If you see even "baby sips" is too painful, and you're bringing it back up - call your Doctor.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
over50woman1
on 11/6/09 11:18 am
Was banded on Mon and had  some ice chips from which I became nauseous.  They gave me Zophran which calmed it down.  No nausea since I'm home.  On clear liquid diet until Tues...I doubt if it's dumping.  Sip slowly.

Margie

wildheart63
on 11/11/09 3:47 am - IL
BANDSTERS DON'T GET DUMPING....THE SWELLING AROUND THE STOMACH IS WHAT MAKES THE SALIVA NOT GO DOWN AS  FAST AS BEFORE SURGERY IT IS NORMAL...THE SWELLING WILL GO DOWN AND YOU WILL BE FINE.
LORI

Most Active