How many calories?

SukieSookie
on 11/4/09 8:34 am
Does anyone know how many calories ppl w/ the band should be aiming for each day? The sample menu my doc gave me sounds like about 1000 cals but that sounds like a lot. Plus if I mix my protein shake with milk they are 200 cals a pop!

Help :(

SukieSookie
on 11/4/09 11:09 pm
Anyone???? Bueller?

Tom C.
on 11/4/09 11:51 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet.

With that said:

I noticed you mentioned “calories". My Doctor told ME in the beginning don’t be too concerned/worry about “calories, fats, sugars, carbs, etc". Make sure you are getting your 60 to 80 grams of protein. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. In the future you can worry about all those other things, but for now - WORRY ABOUT THE PROTEIN. Now don’t get me wrong - I don’t want you to eat a bag of chips, or whole cake or drink tons of ice cream shakes in order to get protein in. You need to use some common sense :) !!

Last year when I first had the operation my Doctor said FOR ME : Prior to the operation I may have been taken 3,000 calories per day. After the operation, with the amount of food I was taking in - I may have been taking in 1700 calories. While that’s 500 calories more then the recommended daily allotment - it was actually 1300 calories less then what I normally took in. So not only was I loosing weight, but was also feel full. We need to worry about calories when out weight slows downs/stops or starts going up. ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR BEFORE INCREASING YOUR INTAKE.

Speak to either your Doctor and/or Nutritionists to see what they recommend FOR YOU !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
SukieSookie
on 11/5/09 12:18 am
Thanks for the reply...I called my dietician cuz this issue was really bugging me...I had ppl tell me I should be consuming 800 a day but that seemed insane to me. So with that said, my dieticain said I should be aiming for 1000-1200 calories a day and she said the same thing your doc told you, just concentrate on eating proteins first, eat healthy meals and follow the rules and you should be fine. Of course that advice was for ME, if anyone else has questions please call your doctor.
Thanks!

BooLicious
on 11/5/09 10:59 am - PA
Hey Susan, that is so funny I just saw you post on here cause I just posted the same exact thing like 5 or 6 days ago.  I posted it on the lapband board too and it was a range of answers.   Some were told 800, 900 some 1000-1200 and then a few were more.  I am thinking the 1000-1200 sounds the healthiest but I am gonna talk to Dr. Ku when I go back this month and get a firm answer from him. 

Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Most Active