I just want a little support

waverly79
on 11/4/09 5:48 am
 I went to see my Nutritionist and Doctor today. All is well except for some strange allergic reaction to steri strips or internal sticthing.  Anyway she asked me what my goal weight would be: I say i would like to be 160. and I realize right now I weigh 350, but darn did she need to rein on my parade. She said "That is unlikely with the band patients, but will write it down anyway". Well I was a little crushed inside. Is not a goal something you work for... not something that just happens. I see LOTS of people on here with lots of weight to loose who do it with the band. There is no reason I cant do it... right?
hopeful and happy
on 11/4/09 7:52 am - Skinnytown, MA
How terrible... I am sure that she was trying to be "nice" by giving you smaller and easier to attain goals, but clearly this is someone who has not been on the journey, herself. Sometimes you just need a pep talk and some encouragement, and I think it is okay to say so.

I am personally only 1.5 weeks out, so I can only tell you what I have seen on the boards and that is lots of people losing lots of weight with lots of success. I know you can be another great success story, too!

shawnao
on 11/4/09 9:35 am
I I'm new here, I have not had surgery yet but seen the doctor today and kind of got the same response. I have not declared and offical surgery yet but was sure I was going with the band. I am 326 and the doctor told me he thought I should go with the bypass because I would not lose the weight I need to with the band. Ugggg!!! Not what I wanted to hear.
waverly79
on 11/4/09 9:51 am
 It is not like we are physically unable to loose the weight, I just think on average most people do not loose  those big numbers... although having said that average is the in the middle some people do less and some people do more. My doctor never swayed me against it and said I needed RNY, and I started 50lbs more then you. I feel like he has a lot of confidence, my the nutritionist does not. Which I dont know why it surprises me, I am never met a nutritonnist that did not feel like she was looking down on me for my food choices.  Hopefully in a year or two I will be able to let her know how wrong she was....
diamondsparkle08
on 11/4/09 11:38 am - Charlotte, NC
Overall your goal is YOUR goal and yours alone! Don't ever let anyone discourage you or take you from where you want to be. Remember that !

if you want to know the truth I'm in LOVE with MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom C.
on 11/5/09 12:02 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Waverly,

Always remember shoot for the moon – even if you don’t make it, you’ll still be hanging with some STARS !!

On the average banded patients are expected to lose 50 to 60% of their excess weight. So doing a little math, you’re about 200 pounds overweight, so you looking at 100 to 120 pounds. So if you only lost 120 pounds, you’d be down to 230 – which isn’t bad. .. Now, I was 435 pounds. My “normal chart" weight is suppose to be 185. So I am 250 pounds of excess weight. So my suggested weight loss should be between 125 and 150 pounds. So far I have lost 185 pounds, and I am still losing.

So what does this LONG BORING reply means – YOU CAN LOSE MORE THEN PROJECTED !! As long as you have a goal, keep it, and work towards it. But remember, it may take a few years to hit that goal – so don’t get discouraged !!

We are a generation of instantaneous results, however remember we didn’t put all the weight on at once, it took years. So don’t you think losing it would take just as long? This isn't one of those miracle instantaneous weight loss programs. Those types of programs always fail. This is a way of life. Plus in all my years of losing weight I’ve come too realized with instantaneous weight lost comes instantaneous weight gain.

Nowhere does any of the literature state you will lose x amount of weight in x days. Think LONG TERM. That’s what I am doing. My new outlook is  “Slow and steady wins the race".  Even if it take me over 5 years to lose all the weight I want to, I know in the long run I will be happy and healthier. My doctor firmly believes the slower you lose weight, the better chance you have of keeping it off. My doctor reminded me that each pound I gained took time to put on, and it’s going to take some time to lose those same pounds.

I know if you really work this tool, you will hit your goal - and then you can go back and say Ef YOU to all of those who doubted you ;D!!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
waverly79
on 11/5/09 8:33 am
 Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! Sometimes you just need to hear "You can do it". Thank you.
BooLicious
on 11/5/09 11:06 am - PA
Yep, you gotta remember they are AVERAGES!!!  Well, we can all ready tell your not average and that you have the HHmmppphhh to do it.  It's gonna be hard and it's gonna be work, but you CAN do it if you WANT it.  I am not gonna let them averages dictate my goals and hopes.  WE ALL CAN DO IT!!!!

So, smile and take it with a grain of salt and then show em about where he put his "averages". 

In all fairness, they do have to tell us this info.  LOL   The nurse didn't need to be like that though!!!

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Most Active