childcare after surgery

timmi0813
on 11/3/09 10:18 am
hI! Thanks for the warm welcome!  I am so excited to get my band! 

Like I said I have a 4 year old and a 10 mo old.  If I have my surgery on Fri morn and home on Fri eve how long do you think I should have them stay at my mothers?  Even if my husband is here and is supposed to be in charge, if my 4 year old wants her mother there is no stopping her.  So,  how long until I'll feel ok to care for her?
While we're on the subject how long until I go back to work.  I've heard everything from 2 days to 4 weeks.  I have a desk job.  But, the hardest thing ( physically )  is I have 2 different day care drop offs and pick ups everyday.

Thanks!

andrea73
on 11/3/09 11:52 am
Just wanted to say good luck.  I am getting banded on Fri also. 

My kids will be home with my husband running interference and then on Tuesday I am on my own no matter how I feel.  You may want to take time off work and send the kids to daycare if you can.  My oldest is almost 8 and will be in school all day and my youngest will be in preschool from 9:30-2:30. ( I am paying extra so she can stay an extra hour in case I need to rest)   I would probably lose my mind if I were having this done during the summer when they are home all day. 

My Dr recommends staying home a week, but I know some people go back sooner. 

You may want to ask on the Lap Band board.  This one is really slow in comparisonn and you will get a lot more resonses there.

8.5 CC in my 11 CC Band

BooLicious
on 11/3/09 10:51 pm - PA
Good luck to you too Andrea!!!  :D

Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 11/3/09 9:07 pm - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
I was banded on 10/26. I was really sore for the first couple of days. I would said leave the kids with you mom for at least 2 to 3 days. You Will not feel up to dealing with it for at least that long.
Good luck with you surgery and keep posted.
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

BooLicious
on 11/3/09 10:50 pm - PA

Is there anyway that your husband can handle the daycare pick ups/drop offs for a week or two?  Or atleast one half of it, the pick up OR the drop offs?  I would say atleast a week before really, really caring for your kids.  I had my surgery on a Wednesday and was back to work on Monday (also a desk job).  I was a little sore going back, but I was ok.  I would have liked a whole week, but it worked out OK.   I would atleast send your daughter to your mothers for the weekend if she can't be at home.  I know my 4 yo daughter was the same, but I showed her the boo boo's and told her Mommy needed to rest a couple days and she needed to be careful around me, she loves to jump on me.  She totally got it.  So, that might help.  I am sure it would be nice for you to not have to worry about it for the first two days though.  They were the worst for me and then everything was looking UP from there.  You'll figure it out and be fine.  Also, if you are resting, just shut your bedroom door and relax and leave it to DH.  He'll figure it out.  :D  

Good luck Friday!  Let us know how your doing!!!

Boo

Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Tom C.
on 11/3/09 11:33 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Everyone is different, but here is my 2 cents. All depends how you heal, if there are complications, why type of operation you're having (laproscopic or open) etc.

Normally ...

For the kids: at least 2 days

For work: (depending what you do) at least 2 weeks (which is my strong suggestion. Even if you feel great, it still takes about 2 weeks to get into the "swing of things". You will be doing a lot of "relearning" and need a strong foundation how/when/what to eat before going to work. However, if you need to go back earlier you can. Truth be known, I could have gone back after my 3rd day, but too the full two weeks. As always consult with your Doctor).
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
hopeful and happy
on 11/4/09 7:46 am - Skinnytown, MA
I was told not to lift anything over 25lbs for 6 weeks! Impossible, right? But, still, I am making an effort. That might factor into how long you keep the kids away, too (not 6 weeks, of course --hee hee-- but a few extra days might be worth it to avoid the tempation of picking them up and tearing your stitches)!

timmi0813
on 11/4/09 9:19 am

Thanks for the input.  I think I am going to have my mom keep the kids Fri and Sat night..
As for work, I'm torn.  OF course I'll follow drs orders but I don't really want my co-workers to know of the surgery.  I also up for a promotion and I want to keep working hard.  But I do think I should be my first priorty at the time.  I'll keep you posted.

Tom C.
on 11/5/09 12:10 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Sorry to add my 2 ¢ … I know a lot of people who want to keep their operation a secret, especially at work – but I would suggest telling one – maybe two people. Even if it’s only the human resource person and/or company nurse. They need to keep your information confidential.

GOD FORBID something happens to you at work, SOMEONE should know what you had done. Because if you’re unconscious, you won’t be able to tell medical personnel what you had done – and they may administer you a treatment which could be adverse to either you or the operation.

Finally, I know of a person who almost got fired (if she didn’t) from her job because of her ‘rapid" weight loss. They thought she had anorexia and since she dealt with kids, they thought she was setting a bad example for the kids. Not sure whatever became of it, but it was shocking to see that you could lose a job if you don’t divulge it.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
wife2denizmoi
on 11/5/09 2:40 pm

I have a 4 year old and I came home the night of the surgery. I was fine caring for her, but didn't lift her until about 3 weeks after the surgery. The first week, I was tired and did take afternoon naps, but after that I was fine. So, that being said...if you can explain to the 4 year old that she can't jump on your tummy, etc. they would be fine to come home Saturday morning....if you think it would be a problem, leave them until Sunday and then deal with them on Sunday.

I would say two weeks for work, just to get the whole routine down. Plus the first week, there is a lot of getting used to and gas and gross stuff, so take two off if you can and relax at home with the kids and take some me time as well.

Heidi

Most Active