Doctors Orders...did u follow to the letter?

waverly79
on 11/1/09 10:21 am
So I am somewhat discouraged with this post op diet. The doctor seems to have a much more relaxed idea of what is ok to eat the the nurtriontionist. And I am questioning this whole 2 week liquid thing, being that some doctors dont recommenend and is this just some inflated idea of a skinny nutriontionist that we should have only liquids for a 2 week before and 2 week after span.  
 I am just about 8 days out and I am kinda ready to move on. I chew a vitamin and calcium 4x a day wondering how that is different... 

So to sum it up I would like some honest answers with no judgement on post op diet and how you did with it.

How long was you post op full liquid diet?
Did you "cheat"?
If so on what? Did it cause harm? Regret it? 

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 11/1/09 10:49 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
I'm on liquids until Nov 11th when I go into see the surgeon,  I can eat  2 Oz.  3x a day. 
They recommended  sf pudding w/protein, broth, strained cream soups, malt o meal,
sf yogurt w/protein. Plus I can have protein shake, crystal light, sf popsicles, and water in between. Just make sure you are getting you protein in that should help with hunger.
Good Luck
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

mzcancer2000
on 11/2/09 2:09 am

OK, YOU SAID BE HONEST....I WAS ON  CLEAR FOR ONE DAY.  THEN STARTED LIQUIDS.  I ONLY WAS ON LIQUIDS TIL MY FOLLOWUP DR VISIT. THEN I WENT TO MUSHY(WHICH i AM STILL ON).

mzcancer2000
on 11/2/09 2:11 am

FROM WHAT MY DR. TOLD ME THE BAND IS EMPTY RIGHT AFTER SURGERY UNTIL YOUR FIRST FILL.

Jennifer R.
on 11/1/09 11:58 am - Fullerton, CA
 I was on clear liquids the day of and day after surgery and then I was on a week of full liquids. I had chicken broth, pure protein shakes, sf pudding, sf yogurt, popsicles, and sf jello. Second week I'm on mushies and have had lots of cottage cheese, tuna, ff refried beans, pudding, Campbells soup to go - creamy chicken soup (with just tiny bits of chicken), milk-based protein shakes with either slim-fast or vanilla protein powder. I even had a few bites of soft potato salad because I just needed another flavor. I have tolerated everything fine. Tuesday, I start soft/regular foods and I see my doc for my first post-op check up on Thursday. When I hear about people who had 2-3 weeks of clear liquids, I think I would have gone batty!! I have avoided sugar which has made a huge difference in my energy level and hunger. That combined with no caffeine and I'm a new woman!!

Hope that helps...and good luck to you :)
Jennifer

Courage is not always a lion's roar. Sometimes, it is a small voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Diet Plans

"When you change the way you see things, the things you see will change."

Tom C.
on 11/1/09 9:34 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Waverly,

You'll come to find each Doctor and/or Nutritionists has their own ideas. However these differences will be subtle, but the majority of the ideas will be the same.

How long someone was on a full liquid diet isn't really important. What is important is you follow WHAT YOUR DOCTOR prescribed.

I followed my Doctor's guidelines to the "T", and I never wavered (no pun intended). For me, this operation is my last chance in life. If it's not going to work, I need to know it's 'IT DOESN'T WORK FOR ME' because it's not a good choice and no questions could it work if I followed the rules.

IMHO: Cheating in the beginning WILL DO HARM. Maybe not to the band (per se) but to YOU because you've already setting yourself up to cheat on other things with this operation

Remember, this is only a tool. It's not a magic pill or a cure all. In order to be successful, you need to adhere to all the rules.

If/when you get a "good eating" foundation down, then maybe (maybe) you can cheat. But until then, I say follow all the rules. FYI - It took me over an year to 'cheat' - but by that time I was down 150 pounds.

Please know I am here if you need/want. I want to see you succeed, and I know you can and/or will.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kwanna K.
on 11/2/09 1:17 am
Hello friend,

I'm nine days postop and I must say that it's all been worth it. I had to complete a week of liquids preop and a week postop. Now mind you, I tried to see what I could "tolerate" and I can surely tell you it's not worth the hassle to jump the gun. As a matter of fact, I can't stand to smell the food I used to love to eat, let alone taste it. To date, I've lost 11 lbs. I've not been under the 200lb mark in 17 years! woohoo! Just keep the faith and remember the reason(s) you had surgery. We are here for you.

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.        
hopeful and happy
on 11/2/09 4:53 am, edited 11/2/09 10:28 am - Skinnytown, MA
I am one week post-op, and since I have been home in bed for most of the week, I have read a lot of message boards ... And the one thing I am sure of is that every doctor has  really different ideas of what foods go with what stages. I was released on protein shakes, cottage cheese and eggs, while so many others are on clear liquids only for weeks. So, from my perspective I have been been a perfect patient, but if I were seeing your doctor, I would be considered "cheating", right?... It's all relative.

However for me, what foods I could "get away" with eating is much less relevant than knowing that I am following rules (as arbitrary as they may seem) and being adherent to whatever the doctor is asking. I just **can't** screw this up, you know?!

Good luck, I know it is tough, but we'll make it!

crystal M.
on 11/2/09 5:05 am - Joliet, IL

I followed my doctor's post op rules.  With the exception of pureed meat...I find that so gross.  So instead of pureed meat I had a protein drink.  I was still getting my protein.  I just couldn't stomach liquid meat...YUCK. 

I guess knowing that so many doctors have different opinions.  Makes it easier to rationalize any "cheating".  You just think "so and so's doctor allows this".  One thing I "cheat" with is drinking after a meal.  My doctor says no drinking 90 mins after eating.  I know many, many doctors allow drinking 30 mins after a meal.  It's really hard for me to wait 90 mins.  I aim for 60 mins.  Which is acceptable but I still feel like I'm "cheating". 

Sugra
on 11/2/09 6:54 am
I found this post so interesting. I am one week post op with Realize Band. I have been on liquids since the day of surgery and have experienced NO solid foods since Sunday, October 25th. I have done everything I am suppose to do. I measure my fluids, my proteins, my carbs and I am still even measuring my output to ensure that everything is working as it should.  My doctor's office give everyone the same diet plan with the same phases, no matter surgery type. Therefore, I am on a liquid diet for two weeks post op, phase 2 with pureed food doesn't even begin for another week from today. I am feeling extremely frustrated. I am ashamed for my sense of frustration since this is only temporary. I am bored with the flavor of protein powder, which I have mixed with milk, water, flavor packets, G2 and soup. I am wishing I could just have some type of substance.

I am reaching out to my fellow Bandsters, looking for any suggestions. Being non-compliant is not an option for me and I am looking for advice on helping me through this Phase without judgment.

Most Active