2nd Fill/Weight Loss Slow??

rvbrat2
on 10/29/09 11:16 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
Since I was not able to get a fill at my 3 month visit, I had to schedule another appt for 6 weeks to see the doctor. Well today was my visit & it went well. I was really hoping to lose more but I guess I shouldn't complain, I am now at 215 lbs. I should be happy with the 2 lbs that I did lose from my 3 month visit. After talking to the doctor he said my weight loss is going slow. I felt disappointed that it's not coming off faster. I have been trying my best to eat good, have been DEDICATED to the gym. I asked him if maybe I was working out too much (3-4 days for 2 hrs), but he said no. I did let him know that in the 4 months since surgery I have LOST 12 1/2 inches. He said that was great & to continue working out. He said he was going to give me a cc fill (I don't think that is much) & see me back in 6 weeks for my 6 month follow up. Since I had my fill I have to start my liguid diet for a few days & then soft diet & see how things go. I really want to be under 200 lbs by the next visit.

For all you OH friends that have the band, how are you doing, how much weight loss have you had? Do any of you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks for all your support!! I hope to hear from you....................
Tom C.
on 10/29/09 9:17 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Broken record alert:

A normal HEALTHY weight loss is anywhere between 1/2 a pound to two pounds a week. If you lose two pounds a month, in a year’s time that 25 (ok 24) pounds. That’s great IMO.

That’s why I hate “the scale". There are other “scales" you can use to monitor your success: your constant hunger reduction (eliminated); reduced clothing size; increase energy; re-familiarizing yourself to body-parts unseen for years (errr… toes) ; “common" activity becoming easier (walking, climbing steps), just feeling good about yourself; sleeping better (reduced snoring); the mirror; better medical exam results (lower cholesterol and/or blood pressure); etc.

Many may compare their lost to someone else’s, and get discouraged. The amount of weight lost is affected by many factors. Everyone loses weight at different rates. It has to do with age, gender, one’s weight, exercise, etc.. A 10 pound lost to one person could be as affected as a 40 pound lost to another. Think of it this way: If a 400-pound person loses 40 pounds; a 300-pound person loses 30 pounds, a 200-pound person loses 20 pounds, and a 100-pound person loses 10 pounds – the 400-pound person didn’t necessarily loose more weight than the others. All three lost 10% of their body weight. Noticed, I started at 435 pounds. So my weight loss, while number wise may seem a lot, could be the “same result" if someone started at a lower weight and lost less “total amount" of pounds

And sometimes it is not the number of pounds that someone loses in a specified period of time that is important. Remember, if you are toning up muscle – your weight loss may seem to have slowed (or stopped), when in fact you are replacing fat with muscle. Muscle is heavier then fat. Someone weighing 200 pounds with a body fat percentage of 25 is carrying around 50 pounds of extra fat. That same person weighing 200 pounds with 10 percent body fat would be carrying only 20 pounds of fat. So it’s not the number that is important.

Be proud of your lost. No matter how small it may seem. IMHO, it’s better to lose not a pound than to GAIN a single pound.

Finally, we a generation of instantaneous results, however remember we didn’t put all the weight on at once, it took years. So don’t you think losing it would take just as long? This isn't one of those miracle instantaneous weight loss programs. Those types of programs always fail. This is a way of life. Plus in all my years of losing weight I’ve come too realized with instantaneous weight lost comes instantaneous weight gain.

Nowhere does any of the literature state you will lose x amount of weight in x days. Think LONG TERM. That’s what I am doing. My new outlook is  “Slow and steady wins the race".  Even if it take me over 5 years to lose all the weight I want to, I know in the long run I will be happy and healthier. My doctor firmly believes the slower you lose weight, the better chance you have of keeping it off. My doctor reminded me that each pound I gained took time to put on, and it’s going to take some time to lose those same pounds. Try to remind yourself that even if I lost only 1 pound per week, in year’s time I’d be 52 pounds lighter.

Be proud of your lost. No matter how small it may seem.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
knailnhair
on 10/29/09 11:40 pm - Milford, NJ
Hi there...you're not alone!!!

I had the Realize Band May 19, 2009. I've lost 36lbs so far and 20 inches. I haven't weighed myself in 1 month. It was too upsetting. I had my first fill Sept 8th. Had 6 cc's and great restriction for about 2 weeks then gone. Between my fill and my one month checkup I lost nothing. I go for another fill Nov 4th. Hopefullyt this will jumpstart my losing again.

I'm eating all my protein and making good choices, haven't exercised in 3 weeks due to my crazy schedule. I know I need to get on that bandwagon again, but I have so much more to lose, just thought it would come off faster.

To be honest, there are days I get frustrated and upset...but I keep thinking how nice it feels to wear baggy clothes....like I said most days I'm ok....I do have days where I'm very angry, but it passes!

Good luck on your journey and know we're here for support!!!

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

Catina
on 10/31/09 10:16 pm
Hang in there. I know that it can be frustrating but once the doctor get you right on your fill the weight will start coming off. Don't give up!
Catina       
BooLicious
on 10/30/09 12:14 pm - PA

RV Brat, sounds like you are doing great!!!  It may seem slow, but the scale is moving down.  I think till sometimes it goes in good spurts and slow spurts.  Atleast for me.

I am still pretty new here.  I was banded Sept 16th and have lost 20.5 and it's gotten a little slower with each week.  As long as the scale is consistently moving down and I  keep following all the rules, I am happy.  :D

So, hang in there and keep working!  You are creating a healthier new you, even if it's slower then you like.  :D

Boo

Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Catina
on 10/31/09 10:20 pm
I have lost a total of 75lbs. since May 12, 2009.  I love the band!  My start weight was 256lbs. and my goal was to be under 200lbs by October 5th. I met the goal and as of today I weigh 181lbs.  I should also tell you that I have not had one fill during this entire time. NO need because the weight is coming off.

I think that you are doing great! I have confidence that you will meet your goal of 200lbs.
Catina       
Most Active