Very important. May be doing damage

Joe B.
on 10/25/09 4:31 am - NC
Monday 10/19/09 Realize Band surgery

Tuesday 10/20/09 Released from hospital

Wednesday 10/21/09 Taking pain meds and difficulty getting in the recommended amount of fluid.

Thursday 10/22/09 Getting hungry. Getting down protien shakes, Boos****er and yogurt smoothies with ease (including creamy soups).

Friday 10/23/09 Fluids are not satisfying me anymore. Extremley hungry all day.

Saturday 10/24/09 Started eating sugar free and fat free jello and pudding to satisfy my hungar for longer periods of time. Had to eat 2% cottage cheese to get to sleep

Sunday 10/25/09 Trying to stick with the Saturday diet, but extremely difficult at this point. I just boiled up some eggs to make egg salad salad to keep me full longer.

I am approaching the week 5 diet. I have no pain what so ever. I'm not even a week out. Am I doing damage to myself, the pouch or the band?

My doctors appointment isn't until 11/3/09.What should I do at this point?

Joe 
(deactivated member)
on 10/25/09 6:30 am - NJ
The reason they have you eating liquids at first is so your stomach can heal and the swelling from surgery can go down.  I know us band pts dont have the same healing as RNY pts, but when it comes to surgery, I listen to my surgeon.  I know it is sooo hard to stay on liquid diet for so long, but it is worth it!! Try and stick with the diet your doctor told you.  It is simply so your body can heal! Good luck!! you can do it!!
Joe B.
on 10/25/09 6:51 am - NC
On October 25, 2009 at 1:30 PM Pacific Time, blondebabe47841 wrote:
The reason they have you eating liquids at first is so your stomach can heal and the swelling from surgery can go down.  I know us band pts dont have the same healing as RNY pts, but when it comes to surgery, I listen to my surgeon.  I know it is sooo hard to stay on liquid diet for so long, but it is worth it!! Try and stick with the diet your doctor told you.  It is simply so your body can heal! Good luck!! you can do it!!
Thanks babe... LOL LOL

This is tough.
wife2denizmoi
on 10/25/09 3:45 pm
Joe,

I think if you are eating small, small portions, its probably not done any damage yet. Just try to stick to the soups....even if you have to keep drinking them all day. I know it sounds crazy, but eventually they will fill you up. Try making some scrambled eggs instead of egg salad....no mayo.  Good luck!

Heidi
Tom C.
on 10/25/09 10:45 pm, edited 10/26/09 12:29 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Joe,

Every Doctor is different, so before you up or change your in-take check with them ... with that said, here is a list of things you should (could) be having:

Of course your 64 ounces of water. - My advice, take a "sip" (mouth full) every 10 minutes. It will keep you full

Ice Chips
Low-fat broth
Sugar-free Jello
Sugar-free juices (ie. Crystal Light)
Non-carbonated flavored waters
unsweetened decaffeinated ice tea
sugar-free popsicles

remember - the above list is all considered 'water' - so you can have as much as you like (again, check with your Doctor).

Skim milk (Skim Plus)
Vegetable juice (ie V-8 and/or tomato)
Low-fat cream soup (made with skim milk)
light smooth yogurt
light fat-free/sugar free ricotta
sugar-free/fat-free puddings (made with skim milk)
Apple sauce (natural - sugar free - no chunks)
whipped low fat cottage cheese

remember - these have calories - so eat until full (not stuffed).

Finally PROTEIN DRINK made with skim milk.

Please make sure you are getting your 60 to 80 grams of protein in per day. Protein will keep you full.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
FatGuy
(shrinking)inNC

on 10/26/09 12:08 am
Tom,

I was reading your post as I am sceduled for banding on 11/23 and am researching as much as I can about what the first few days will be loike post op.  Do I understand your post to be that V-* & tomato juice are off limits? is that just for the 2 wk liquid phase before mushy/puree or is that something I will have to avoid on a regular basis.  I love V-8, it's my go to diet aid beverage.

Thanks in advance,

Fat Guy in NC.
Tom C.
on 10/26/09 12:31 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Sorry .. ex was suppose to be short for example - but now I can see it could be interpreted as except .. so I changed it ...

Feel free to drink V-8 or Tomato juice - of course make sure it's all natural - and ask your doctor !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
FatGuy
(shrinking)inNC

on 10/26/09 12:36 am
Thanx Tom for the clarification.

Fat Guy in NC

My Blog: 
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/kurebeachbum/

Worst "Healthy Foods" in America's Restaurants & Grocery Stores
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/kurebeachbum/blog/2010/02/18/30-worst--restaurant-choices--/
Highest: 292   /  Surgery: 280   /  Goal:   200 
First Fill 1/7/10   5.0cc  in an APL band
2nd Fill  2/4/10   1.0cc in an APL band
3rd Fill   4/22/10 0.5cc in an APL band  
4th Fill   5/20/10  0.25cc in an APL band
" All the hope in the world won't make the "band" work but do your part and it works beyond your wildest hopes & dreams  !!! "

Joe B.
on 10/25/09 11:33 pm - NC
Thanks everybody. I'm back on track.
bludogwa
on 10/26/09 9:01 am
My surgeon said that the people who have problems are most often the ones who don't follow the post surgical and post fill liquids rules.  You'll make it...we all did!!!
Most Active