Hair loss with band?

Life is a Beach
on 10/20/09 6:51 am
Sorry, I'm getting confused since I have just changed from RNY to Realize Band. Is hair loss a problem with the band? Does it occur if you are not eating enough protein or because RNY patients aren't absorbing enough vitamins?
Mel is losing it
on 10/20/09 9:02 am - Lakeport, CA
I did have some hair loss. I am sure it is a combination of not enought protein & vitamins. I have also heard that the shock to the body from surgery alone can cause some hair loss.

Melissa 11cc Realize Band

Experienced a leak in my port, and had no restriction for over 9 months. Had leak repair surgery on 1/31/11 and am back on my journey again! :)

barregirl
on 10/21/09 12:49 am
I too have had some hair loss.  I always get more than my minimum protein and I always take the vitamins as told.  Its frustrating, but I've heard it will grow back in time.  Its not like I'm going bald, just not as much volume of hair.   I agree that just the "shock" of having the surgery and losing the weight will do this.  It happened to me years ago when I lost 60 pounds on Weigh****chers too.  It did come back, of course the weight came back too!
Barb

One Day at a Time.

Tom C.
on 10/21/09 3:10 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
From the research I did, hair loss can occur with either operation - especially in the beginning. Since you're not "eating" enough, you may experience hair loss - even with the band. But once you're able to "eat normally" (6 - 8 months) you hair loss should diminish.

Being bald, I haven't seen a difference :D !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Life is a Beach
on 10/21/09 6:27 am
Thanks for your help everyone. Love the friendliness of these forums.

I had major surgery a few years ago with complications and lost hair (volume) then and was told it was due to the trauma to my body.  If the hair loss is only as bad as that, I can manage with it.
Kim U.
on 10/22/09 1:06 pm
add Biotin to your daily vitamins it will help with the hair loss. Here is a site my NUT referred me to for good prices. On this site they also have a once daily multi...if your like me I don't like having to take my vitamins more than once a day so I really like this one.

http://www.affordablesolaray.com/43545.html
199 here I come! 

Most Active