2 weeks with realize, and i cant realize the problem?!?

garygems
on 10/13/09 10:48 pm
Hi All,
I have been banded with the realize lap band on 10/1 and here is a brief run down. Had my 2 week prior liquid diet, lost 14 pounds, had surgery, had 10 days of more liquid, lost 10 pounds. Just started the next 10 days of puree foods.

Now I will be honest, as I was with my surgeon when I went to see her last week for a post-op. I have experimented with food, I want to know what I can and cannot tolerate. So, I tried solids, like some noodles, breads, chicken, various soups, etc.. and it all works, everything goes through, i never yet had to vomid or feel sick. Now, the problem is that, I am experementing too often, stepped on the scale last night, and gained 5 pounds! I freaked out, dont know what to do. I dont drink protein, becasue I find foods that have enough of it, i think.

So, yes, I do cheat, but, my main question is... why is there no restriction? My surgeon said that the band is not filled, but, even so, having a lap band over my stomatch creating a "smaller pouch" wont that limit me in some way? I am so confused, it feels like I had no surgery done, like there is no point, and I feel very sad about going thru this. I really would like to find out from others how they felt, and what happend. Thanks.
crystal M.
on 10/14/09 1:31 am - Joliet, IL
I have had 5 fills so far and I'm just now starting to get good restriction.  Up until a month ago I could pretty much eat what I want, when I want to.  Now I have to be careful.  Just be patient...it will happen.  Everyone is different.  Some get restriction right away, so don't.  I was one of those people that had to have fill after fill before I felt anything.  I now have 9.2 ccs in my band and have pretty good restriction. 
dvolumptious1
on 10/14/09 3:57 am
I just got my band yesterday and I've been following the liquid diet. I can't imagine trying foods bc I know that they will go right hrough. The purpose of not eating right now is so that your body can heal. You went through surgery. You need to follow the doctor's orders and not lose your will  power. I tried the liquid diet for a few days before the surgery and followed the atkins diet which was what my md told me to do and I lost 28 lbs before my surgery. The band isn't going to lose the weight for you. If you wanted the easy way out, you should have gotten the RNY where you would be puking and having all sorts of pain whenever you decided to test what you could eat. Don't be a quitter, I'm sure he told you in the beginning that this is a process that must be followed carelfully. We didn't go through being cut and everything just to continue to try to do things our own way. Now get back on track and stop this cheating which is nothing but self destruction and in the end, if you don't succeed, you will only have yourself to blame. This is a mind game and its up to you to pass, no one can do this for you.! 
Tom C.
on 10/14/09 9:12 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

A little tough love here .. no matter if you have restriction or not, if you don’t follow the rules, cheat, and try to “work around" the band, you won’t be successful.

Folks with bypass or very tight bands will GAIN weight when they don’t do what they are supposed to do. Those 5 pounds should be a wake up call and tell you – get back and follow the rules.

What you will notice is over time, as your stomach shrinks, your volume will go down – your weight loss will increase, and you’ll be happy with your choice.

Remember we’re here for you to help in any way we can.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
CHVLADY
on 10/15/09 9:10 am
 Congratulations on your ability to stick to the liquid diet before surgery and for the ten days after.  Give yourself the credit for being disciplined enough to stick to it!  I can not imagine that you would want to test your band at this stage of the game...you have worked so hard to  get that weight off and now you are putting it back on.  You need to keep your eye on the prize (the thinner healthier and better looking you) and stop trying to figure out if this is going to work for you.  It will work if you want it to work :-)  You are cheating only yourself and no one else.  Follow the doctors orders and get back on track.
As for no restriction, they leave the band completely empty or with a small fill at first to allow for the stomach to swell from the trauma of the surgery.  As the swelling goes down your band may be even looser than before.  They do not do any fills until about 6 weeks so that your stomach is back to normal and they can fill according your actual stomach.  The stoma (opening) is still much larger than it will be when you have reached the point with your band that you have appropriate restriction.
Good luck-I will be watching you lose along side me :-)
Most Active