Need help

marlene1
on 10/6/09 1:19 pm - freedom, CA
Wow that's great.  I had pain day 1-3 very little now.thanks for the advice.  I hope my cuts look small as well. 
Marlene
arielared
on 10/6/09 5:32 pm - Stamford, CT
Isopure is a "clear liquid" with 40 g of protein, and it comes in a variety of flavors.  It is essential to get some protein into you for good health and healing. 

Each phase is one week, but I pushed mine by a couple of days. You must be sensible.  If it feels OK, then go ahead and move to the next phase.  Don't pu**** if you're uncomfortable.

Cravings are dangerous.  That desire for the foods that we love, and know that we can't have it for a while, can cause us some anxiety.  Remember that you are supposed to be on full liquids in the second week--soups, milk, protein shakes, and such.  The wedding will be a terrible challenge for you.  Try to keep in mind that you are in recovery and must take care of yourself.  You will feel deprived and probably angry about it, but focus on the happy occasion, instead.  You will not always be deprived.  Remember that, after awhile, you will be able to eat the foods that you love, but in sensible (low-fat, low-carb) versions and portion sizes.  And remember to keep away from the alcohol.

There are websites and books that will give you WLS-friendly recipes.  For example, http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ , and plusizedbarbie.blogspot.com/ and the book (try the library)

Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery: Over 140 Delicious Low-Fat High-Protein Recipes to Enjoy in the Weeks, Months and Years After Surgery . 

Check out www.bariatrictv.com/forum/index.php  for additional information.  This is run by two women who had WLS.  It's fun and informative.
Good luck!!!!!

marlene1
on 10/7/09 3:29 pm - freedom, CA
thanks for the advise, yesterday i was feeling like maybe i should have waited until after the wedding for surgery, today i feel better, but stll think maybe i should have waited. I lost 10 pds since surgery. That is my motivation.  Yes cravings are very dangerous!! I am still a little confused on food and portions, please read my previous post from today, and let me know if you can help me understand.  Thanks, Marlene
arielared
on 10/9/09 12:59 am - Stamford, CT
"Food for Thought" (pardon the expression)
--     The ultimate goal is 60-80 grams of protein per day, within an approximate calorie count of 800/day.   There are different schools of thought as to how you should accomplish this.
--      As mentioned above, eat your protein first.  All other foods are secondary.
--      It is essential to take a good quality multi-vitamin.  Check out Bariatric Advantage or Celebrate vitamins; they have formulations for bypass and for band.
--      It is essential to get sufficient calcium citrrate (not "carbonate"); check with your doctor as to the dosage for your particular needs  (age and any contributing medical conditions, etc).
--      I recommend very highly that you plan your meals for the week, and keep a food journal with the calorie and protein counts for all meals and snacks. 
--      In order to prevent your pouch from stretching, the quantity that you eat at any one time should NOT exceed one measuring cup.
--       If something does not feel good, THEN DON'T DO IT.  Speak to your doctor/PA. 
--      Certain foods, such as chicken, celery and others, are very dense and fibrous and cause a painful, stuck situation. Get yourself some chewable papaya enzyme tablets when your stomach feels uncomfortable; these will help you digest the food that are sitting there like a rock.

If you stay within those guidelines, then you are doing well, regardless of whether you choose to eat it all at three, five of whatever number of meals or snacks or combination thereof.

marlene1
on 10/12/09 12:35 pm - freedom, CA
Thanks, the info was of great help.
Most Active