Eating Out With Friend - Need Help With Menu Selection!

Rachel S.
on 10/4/09 10:51 pm - Montclair, NJ
Hi everyone :)

A friend from high school recently found me (via facebook) and has asked to go out to eat & see each other after 17 years.

The first time she asked was in August, right after I had my WLS and I sort of procrastinated on going out b/c I was still on liquids. So, we scheduled a date for this month. The problem is I just got my 2nd fill today and the day we are to meet I will just be moving up to the soft foods. She doesn't know I had surgery, don't plan on telling her and don't think it would be nice to change the date again.

The problem is, the restaurant we are suppose to have dinner at and meet is Italian (read "pasta"). I thought I could find some soup, but NOT. The restaurant menu is http://www.arnoristorante.com/menu.php. If anyone could find ANYTHING I could possibly eat without the worry of choking, food getting stuck or having some other embarassing moments from happening (such as sliming, PBing, etc)...PLEASE tell me what you think I could eat. After looking at the menu, I'm clueless what I could be able to eat without a problem. I don't see soups, either :(

Thanks alot!!

Rachel S.
on 10/4/09 10:55 pm - Montclair, NJ
Well, I just looked at the menu again...guess, if I knew Italian or read more closely I would see soup, or zuppe, is available - so my problem is solved! Whew!!

crystal M.
on 10/5/09 1:23 am - Joliet, IL
Your doctor is more strict than mine.  I'm back on regular food the next day (if tolerated).  For soft food at an Italian restaurant, I ordered stuffed shells and just ate the stuffing (which is ricotta cheese).  It was really yummy. 
Rachel S.
on 10/5/09 1:40 am - Montclair, NJ
Yeah, I'm on clear liquids for 3 days and then full liquids for 7 days. Then, I move to soft foods. Maybe I will order something like you mentioned. She got a $25 discount off $35 (from restaurant.com)  The way I am going, my meal will only be around $9, LOL...

Tom C.
on 10/5/09 2:42 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

How do you do with leftovers?

Here is my suggestion – order the soup and an entrée. Instead of the macaroni, order (very) steamed (mushy) vegetables (tell your friend you are watching your weight, and you don’t want starchy carbs). When you’re done with the soup “box" the rest and bring it home. This way when you CAN EAT you will have a nice dinner !!

You may want to try the salad too – depending what they have.  

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Rachel S.
on 10/5/09 7:31 am - Montclair, NJ

Thanks! Sounds like a great idea!!

I also thought of telling her I have had trouble with food getting caught in my throat lately (that would be partially true, especially if I don't chew enough or too big a bite)...then, she would understand why I'm not getting some sort of pasta at the Italian restaurant she picked out.

Soup and steamed veggie it is!!

wife2denizmoi
on 10/5/09 12:56 pm
You could always be allergic to the sauce or the flour in the pasta. :)
Rachel S.
on 10/6/09 12:32 am - Montclair, NJ
Yeah...thanks for the idea ;)

wildheart63
on 10/6/09 4:07 am - IL
order an appatizer...i do

Most Active