Port infection

crcp21
on 10/2/09 10:07 am - Newark, DE
Hi all,

I recently had my surgery on Sept 3rd.  Last week I called my doctor because my port incision was very red. I started antibiotics on Sunday and on Tuesday my incision opened and started oozing. I called the doctor again and he said to just make sure it stayed clean and covered. My antibiotics ended yesterday and the area is still very red and oozing. Has anybody else run into this problem? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks! 
graciemaeryan
on 10/2/09 10:43 am - Atlanta, GA

When is your post-op appt with the doctor?

Are you running a fever or have pain?

Does the surgical site look any better?

Is it warm or hot to the touch?

What color drainage?

How much did it open? Deep?

If you are concerned that it is infected you need to be seen,

With it being a Friday night that will probably mean the ED or an Urgent Care Center.

Gracie Mae    

Catina
on 10/3/09 4:16 am
I have never had that type of problem. If I was you, I would take a visit to the doctor office instead of taking advice over the phone from his office. I wish you luck and I hope that it  gets better for you.
Catina       
Nicole Wilson
on 10/5/09 12:10 am - Indianapolis, IN
You need to call your doctor as soon as possible.  It sounds very serious.....
Barble
on 10/9/09 11:15 am - South Lyon, MI
Hi,  I'm 3 weeks postop today. One of my incisions opened up today and started oozing.(pus) It has a red perimeter and is a little warm. no pain, no fever.  I called Barix (the clinic thar did my surgery )and they told me I have fluid under there and it made its way out. They told me to apply warm compresses to draw out the fluid, and to gently squeeze the fluid out. also to apply neosporin onto the area. They also said to keep it clean with soapy water and let the shower water to run on it. They said if it hurt or I get a fever to call the Dr on  call. What did they tell you to do?  Barb
stacy A.
on 10/27/09 3:05 pm - rockwood, TN
I did the same as yours. The incision by my port had a raised red spot almost like a pimple. upon going back to my dr he discovered thta the stitches that were supposed to disolved were not in that incision and he ended up on 2 seperate occasions opening the incision. Just by touching it and pulled a very yucky looking stitch out on each visit that had worked itself to the surface. the last one he pulled was about 1/2 an inch long and had alot of pus on it. he put me on antibiotics and the site is fine now. a little tip mine wuld always itch. i would of course scratch and it would pop. i would clean it and call him the next day.
STACY A
stacy A.
on 10/27/09 3:14 pm - rockwood, TN
Most Active