Hiccups 6 months out..Anyone else?

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/09 3:56 am
I am 6 months out from surgery - almost 50 pounds lost.   I have hiccups.
Anyone else experiencing this?  I have them daily - not at each meal - but always
at the beginning of eating.  After one or 2 well chewed bites they start.  I had an upper GI a few
weeks ago that showed no problems.... just can't get this problem to go away!  Help!
peachwood
on 9/28/09 1:34 pm - Milltown, NJ
 I am close to 8 months out and after my last fill I started getting hiccups associated with eating.  It can happen after one bite or twenty and not all the time.  Just like you.  I have a very tight restriction now and I am thinking it has to do with that.  They do not last.  It seems that they stop when the food passes and I slow down = real slow.  I also started taking very small bites.  They are not as intense as they were.  But I know what you mean.  We are all different.  Hope it will subside. 
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/09 6:40 am
Thank goodness I am not alone!  I am sorry you are suffering from this also, but it is a relief.
I have tried smaller bites, eating slowly to no avail.  I had some taken out of my band and went
for a few weeks - but still had the problem so I went back to the larger fill.  My Dr. has no answers... it is very frustrating!  Please keep me posted if you come up with any solutions.
Thanks - Kristina
MissRachel
on 9/28/09 4:43 pm
 I have them, too.  Almost daily.  And they hurt very very much.  I'm only 2-1/2 mos post-op with a loss of 42 lbs and 8cc's in my band.  I have good restriction - maybe too good.  I've thought about having a little bit taken out of my band. I will get the brick-in-the-chest pain after the first bite or two of food.  Or I'll get painful hiccups.  My surgeon said he thinks I wait too long between meals to eat and that I shouldn't eat as many cold foods.  I thought he was crazy but now that I've started eating little bits more often it's not as bad.  And the coldness did seem to affect it, too.  I don't know if this is at all what you're experiencing.  But I almost posted something tonight asking about it, too.  I'm tired of it.  I hope the little changes my surgeon suggested help more in the next few days. 

Tom C.
on 9/28/09 9:50 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Even after 20 months out - when I get my "hiccup/double burp" that's my tell sign which means "I'M DONE" !! 

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/09 6:44 am

This happens to me at the beginning of a meal.  With the first one or two well chewed bites.

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/09 6:42 am
Thank goodness I am not alone!  I am sorry you are suffering from this also, but it is a relief.
I have tried smaller bites, eating slowly to no avail.  I had some taken out of my band and went
for a few weeks - but still had the problem so I went back to the larger fill.  My Dr. has no answers... it is very frustrating!  I have the bad pain also.  I can't seem to burp much to help things along either.  That brick in chest is torture!   The hot or cold does not affect it for me.  My Dr. questioned if I was talking during meals and taking in too much air and I don't.  Please keep me posted if you come up with any solutions.
Thanks - Kristina
BooLicious
on 9/30/09 12:33 am - PA
I'm only 2 weeks out and get them atleast once a day now.  They are normally short lived, but it's kind of pain.  They don't hurt anymore like they did when I was still really sore from surgery, so I guess that is a plus.  :)

Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

stacy A.
on 10/27/09 3:33 pm - rockwood, TN
I AM ALMOST 6 MONTHS OUT. 5 FILLS. I'M FILLED TO 6 AND HAVE LOST 50 LBS. I GET THEM TOO. SOMETIMES AFTER 1 OR 3 BITES . IF I DO IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I'M GONNA THROW UP. SOMETIMES ITS JUST LIKE THAT SLIM YUCKY JUNK. BUT I WILL EAT A TUMS OR 2 TO GET ATLEAST A FEW SMALL BURPS OUT OR HOPEFULLY ONE BIG BURP. AND PRAISE GOD RELIEF! THEN I WAIT A FEW MINUTES AND TRY YO EAT AGAIN SLOWER AND CHEW MORE. THAT USUALLY WORKS.  TRY TAKING TUMS OR SOMETHING LIKE IT AND SEE IF THAT HELPS RELIEVE THE PRESSURE
STACY A
Most Active