4 Days Post-op and STARVING!

loozin_it
on 9/27/09 6:18 am
I had surgery on Wednesday and I have already lost nine pounds...yeah I like that, but I am STARVING! I cannot tell that I even had anything done. Three tablespoons of cream of wheat or cream soup three times a day with 3-4 oz. of protein shake in between is not satisisfying at all! I am trying to hang in there, I know that starting Wednesday I will be able to eat a tiny bit of tuna or baked potato...in the mean time I am starving! Is this normal? Any suggestions on how make the struggle through this part any easier?
jfehnel
on 9/27/09 8:41 am
I had my surgery last Monday Sept 21, 2009. Lap band. I felt the same way except I did not loose 9 lbs. I am so jealous!! How did you do that? How old Are you? Today I start soft foods . At least I don't feel like I'm starving as much. I have not had a fill. With the exception of a couple of painful spots I cannot tell I had surgery. My stomach feels the same. Hang in there and I hope it gets better for both of us.
Judy
Judy    
loozin_it
on 9/27/09 11:26 am
Judy,
I am 42 years old, I'm sure most of what I have lost is fluids, which can't be good. I am trying to drink plenty of fluids but I am afraid to drink too much at once. I am glad you got to start soft foods today, hopefully we won't be so hungry with soft foods. Thanks for the reply...best of luck to you!
dmstear
on 9/27/09 12:29 pm
I had my surgery on July 30 of this year and YES I was totally starving. I even rushed through the diet, about day 4 or 5 i started on mashed potatoes and thought I died and went to heaven. Between the pre op diet and post op, i lost 16lbs. But I've only had one fill and feel like I had NOTHING done. I eat any and everything!! You should be able to eat more, as long as you stay within your "soft" diet- try some heavier, creamy soups. SOunds like you may not be eating enough fat. Fat should help you feel fuller. Good luck. It's rough, but gets better
_Lisa
on 9/27/09 10:23 pm - Lexington, KY
This is what everyone calls "bandster hell."   I so feel your frustration!

I had surgery on July 27 & the first 2.5 weeks post-op I was on liquids (specifically no sugar added instant carnation breakfast, milk, sf/ff jello or pudding, cream of chicken/celery/mushroom soup, and protein shakes.)  I couldn't move on to the next stage of food until I met w/ my surgeon for my first post-op appointment, and by the time I went to that appointment I was so hungry I could've gnawed into my own arm!

If I could go back in time knowing what I know now I would've definitely bought some unflavored protein powder MUCH sooner...and added it to my jello, pudding, and cream soups.  At the time I didn't follow the 3-4 oz. portion size recommendation-I had whatever liquid I needed to feel satisfied so I didn't go crazy!  

Thankfully my surgeon gave me a fill at my first post-op appointment so I've been doing OK since then, maybe your surgeon will too! :)  Good luck!
Tom C.
on 9/28/09 10:22 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

BROKEN RECORD TIME !!

Make sure you are getting your 60 to 80 grams of protein in. This is KEY to lose weight.

Make sure you are drinking your (minimum) 60 ounces of fluid (non-carbonated/decaffeinated).

Don't drink 30 minutes before/after or during meals. Make sure you eat each meal slowly. It should takes about 30 minutes to complete (it takes 25 to 30 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain it's full)

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active