4 days until surgery

koleary81
on 9/26/09 5:00 am
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here. I have my surgery on Wednesday and I am confident in my decision to have the band put in but, I still have a ton of questions. I have my preop on Monday and hopefully they will get answered then. In the meantime I wanted to ask people who have been there before and have gone through it... so here they are:

How much weight is "average" to lose?

What are some good nutritional "liquids" to consume?
     Can coffee be part of my liquid diet?

How soon can I start working out again?
     What are some good beginning work outs to do when beginning to work out again?

How long is the recovery for this surgery?

Any advise could be beneficial.
Thanks,
Kate
jess75
on 9/26/09 5:26 am - GA
Hey there Kate!  Your Dr. will most likely cover all these questions and then some!!! But I remember feeling the same way- tons of questions.
Every Dr. is different on the diet stuff- but I can tell you what I did- be sure to check with your Dr. too.  I am about 5 weeks out- but have been told that we should expect to loose around 50% of our excess weight- I'm shooting for higher!
Protein shakes are the way to go that first week.  My Dr. allowed milk with protein powder 3 times a day- my favorite (personal preference and everyone is different) is the Unjury kind  (www.unjury.com).  After I used all of my unjury, I bought some at wal-mart and don't like it anywhere near as much- it is chalky and doesn't dissolve as well as the unjury.  I had and still have a couple cups of coffee each day.   I was allowed to walk as soon and as much as I wanted.  I didn't feel like it for a few weeks.  My Dr. stipulated nothing that twists your torso. ....  Then after your 4-6 week check and fill you are clear for work outs and weight lifting.  I am doing treadmill and am starting an aerobic tape from WW that I used to enjoy.  I was back at work within 10 days.  Friday surgery then a week off and returned the next Monday.    Remember though- from reading on here- EVERY DR. is very different in food allowances, activity, meds, etc.  SO be sure to get answers from your Dr.
Hope this helps! 
Jess
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me
Philippians 4:13
284 Starting Weight ~ 257 Surgery ~ 216 Current

dvolumptious1
on 9/26/09 1:03 pm
I am scheduled to have surgery  on 10-13th and I'm nervous and kind of wondering what my results will be like as far as  how much weight and how fast can I lose it? I decided to go with a band in order to slow down the process to give me plenty of room to workout and keep my skin tight; however, I still want quick results.
Brittnie S.
on 9/27/09 1:46 pm - NV
Hi Kate,
I had the realize band done March 20,2009. As far as how much weight is average to lose it varies from person to person. There are people that have lost over 100lbs and some that have lost a lot less than that. Its all up to you to make it work. So far I have lost 98lbs including my 34lbs that I lost pre op. As for nutritional liquids there are a lot of people that use crystal lite to mix with water to give it a flavor, others go for the no/ low cal and sugar drinks, you just have find what works for you. As for coffee as part of your pre-op liquid diet I'm not sure but I'm sure someone will know that answer. Working out depends on your doctor and when he/she releases you back to work. I took 2 weeks off work and then then they released me back to work and light work outs ie. walking, things like that. Like I said I took 2 weeks off from work but was still a little sore when I started back but I have a very physical job. Good luck, I'm sure you will do great and hope this info helps. good luck

dmstear
on 9/27/09 2:13 pm
I had my surgery on a Thursday, and was back in the gym on the very next Tuesday- 5 days later. The first 2-3 days back in the gym weren't real easy, but by a week post op, I was pretty much back into it (except for jumping where I had to hold my incision cause it felt weird. I was back to lifting weights etc, all within a week. My Dr. had told me I had NO limitations on exercise and lifting and that if I felt up to it, I could do any exercise I wanted. Although, I will tell you, the 3-4 days right after surgery were very rough for me and I felt like I'd never recover- but I did right after the 4th day. Take it easy, and you will know what your body can handle..the pains and discomfort were rough, but the healing of the incision etc was very quick...much much faster than my C-section recovery. Good luck.
Tom C.
on 9/28/09 10:29 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Hello Kate,

Here are my personal answers to your questions

How much weight is "average" to lose? – DON’T WORRY ABOUT THE NUMBERS. Everyone is different, and starts from a different point.
.. A 10 pound lost to one person could be as affected as a 40 pound lost to another. Think of it this way: If a 400-pound person loses 40 pounds; a 300-pound person loses 30 pounds, a 200-pound person loses 20 pounds, and a 100-pound person loses 10 pounds – the 400-pound person didn’t necessarily lose more weight than the others. All three lost 10% of their body weight. 

What are some good nutritional "liquids" to consume? – Water with non-fat/sugar free “additive" (example Crystal Light); jello, fat-free broth; non-carbonated/sugar free flavor water; unsweetened decaffeinated ****) tea; sugar-free popsicles

Can coffee be part of my liquid diet? – Ask your Doctor – but only if DECAFFEINATED !!

How soon can I start working out again? – I did in 3 weeks, but lightly.

What are some good beginning work outs to do when beginning to work out again? – WALKING is the best. Stair climbing (1 flight)

How long is the recovery for this surgery? Again, depends on the person. I feel good
that night, and was “back to normal" in 3 days. Others it took week(s)
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
BooLicious
on 9/30/09 12:26 am - PA
You've gotten some great answers.  I just wanted to wish you GOOD LUCK today.  It's gonna be tough the next few days, but you WILL feel better soon.  Hang in there and let us know how your doing!!!  :)

Boo
Boo

04/20/2009- Started Pre-Op Diet at 281 pounds
09/16/2009- Had Surgery at 248 pounds
11/19/2009- 1st fill of 4 cc's
12/15/2009-
2nd Fill of 1 cc
01/28/2010- 3rd Fill of .5 cc
04/01/2010- 4th Fill of .3 cc

Ultimate Goal Weight:  140

Most Active