Any Advice

Amy G.
on 9/25/09 12:01 pm - IL
I am having realize band surgery on Tuesday 9/29  I have been on the liquid diet now for almost 2 weeks.  Can anyone give me some personal experience advice for a speedy and healthy recovery?  I am scheduled to be off for for 2 weeks following my surgery.  I work in a hopital lab and although I dont have a very physical demanding job, I do have a job that requires I either be on my feet long periords of time or at a chair for long periords of time. 

Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy
Livewell
on 9/25/09 9:06 pm - Chatham, NJ
Amy,

My only recommendation is to make sure that you get in all of your protein post-op and water post-op.  Then, try to walk as much as possible.  The walking not only helps with releasing the gas, but it also gets you prepared to go back to work.  Best of luck on your surgery.  I am sure that you will do great!

jess75
on 9/26/09 12:20 am - GA
Hi Amy!  I had surgery on 8/21 so I am just a little over a month ahead of you! Be sure to get in your protein following surgery- this will help you keep your energy up and to heal well!  I am a teacher- and had surgery on a Friday and was planning to go back to work on wed.  Well, by Monday, I was still so tired, I knew there was no way I would feel like dealing with kids. LOL    So, I took a week and was fine to head back to work.  So you are wise to take the time off- it will benefit your healing process in the end!   Don't forget to get up and walk around often and you can use a heating pad for the gas pains.  That was the worst part for me- the gas settled in my back- So I lived on a heating pad for days!  I also found that sleeping on the couch was a great plan.... best wishes for a wonderful surgery and recovery!
Jess
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me
Philippians 4:13
284 Starting Weight ~ 257 Surgery ~ 216 Current

MaMa_M
on 9/26/09 1:03 am - MI
Hello and best of luck on your surgery. My husband and I both had surgery on 9/15. He went back to work the following Monday (he has a desk job) and was tired the first couple of days. I have been working at home for a couple hours a day and will return to work on Monday. I too have a desk job.

Each person is different, judge your ability to go back to work on how you feel. Make sure you walk, walk, walk...the gas really is the worst part! Drink your fluids and get your protein in. These are important parts of your recovery. The very most important part is your attitude...a good attitude will get you through.

Best of Luck!
MaMa M

jess75
on 9/26/09 5:18 am - GA
Mama M----- I love your avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   LOL
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me
Philippians 4:13
284 Starting Weight ~ 257 Surgery ~ 216 Current

Nicole Wilson
on 9/28/09 4:17 am - Indianapolis, IN
I had surgery on Friday and I was back to work on Wednesday.  I work at a desk job too, so I just took it easy.  Don't baby yourself too much either.  I slept on the couch too. We'll be here for you...you will do fine..
jfehnel
on 9/28/09 4:36 am
I had the band on Sept 21, 2009. I feel that I would be doing pretty good if I had to work today. I am disabeled so I don't work but I feel pretty good today.  Go to bed early and if you need to take naps to help your body heal then do it. Take pain meds when you need them. I am still taking the pain med. Out of the 5 spots that they went in to do the band only 2 of them are really sore. They get better every day.

I am one week ahead of you so if you have questions I'll be glad to help. JudyF
Judy    
Amy G.
on 9/28/09 8:05 am - IL
Thanks Everybody!

Tomorrow is the BIG day, the new beginning of my new life!

Amy
dvolumptious1
on 9/28/09 8:09 am

So excited for you!! My big day is 2 weeks away. Please keep us all posted, it would definitely be greatly appreciated.

Tom C.
on 9/28/09 9:52 pm, edited 9/28/09 10:31 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
AMY - Good Luck today !! Let us know how it goes !! PRAYING FOR YA !!

DVOLUMPTIOUS1 - Congrats on your date. Make sure you let us know when it's all said and done.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active