hiccups after surgery?

jkhawk8
on 9/24/09 8:31 am - Alexandria, KY
My husband had his band surgery yesterday, and this morning he got hiccups that are still bothering him.  We've tried warm broth, holding his breath, pencil under the tongue...all the good remedies except a spoonful of sugar...but they won't go away.  Obviously his diaphragm is irritated, maybe because the surgeon also fixed a hiatel hernia?

Anyone else have this problem right after surgery?

Thanks,
Jan

Ashley A.
on 9/24/09 1:11 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 06/27/12

Hi, yes the hiccups are completely normal after surgery. I had them for about a week after surgery..they were really bad the 1st few days after. I think the main thing that causes them is all the gas that is used to expand the stomach. I would just make sure he is using his spirometer and doing his breathing exercises, that will defintiely help a lot. I hope this helps him and congrats to him on the surgery!

Realize Band-12.1.08 Revision to VSG-6.27.12

MissRachel
on 9/24/09 4:27 pm
 I also had the hiccups really bad after surgery.  I get them after I've had a fill, too.  My doctor suggested that my posture needed improvement.  I thought he was crazy but it had actually helped.  The more I sit up straight when I eat and/or drink the less I get them.  And right after surgery I found that walking helped those, too.  That and the QTip massage on the soft palate helped them too.  i just had to be very very careful not to make myself gag with that.  If he gags easily, don't try that remedy right now.

Best of luck!  Take care!

wife2denizmoi
on 9/24/09 9:35 pm
Jan,

Congratulations to your husband. I got a band yesterday too. I didn't get the hiccups, but I couldn't stop burping! It was pretty embarrassing! I hope you find a cure soon!

-Heidi

-HeidiG (Wife2denizmoi) 

Most Active