Recovery Time After Surgery

Tana10732
on 9/22/09 12:11 am - Thomasville, NC
I will be having my surgery on October 21st for the Realize band.  Can anyone tell me how long it took for you to return to work?

3cc on 12/10/09, 0.8cc on 1/25/10, 1.0 cc on 3/15/10, 1.0 cc on 4/28/10, 0.2 cc on 6/16/10, 0.7 cc on 8/26/10, 0.8 cc on 10/15/10, 1.0 cc on 3/17/11 and 0.3 cc on 6/9/11.  8.8 cc in my 11cc band

HW 258/SW 242/CW 170/GW 140

Tom C.
on 9/22/09 12:38 am, edited 9/22/09 4:55 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
It depends on what type of job you do. If you sit behind a desk you can go back quicker then if you lift heavy equipment.

while I felt I could have gone back to work in 3 days, I took two weeks. And I suggest doing at least two weeks for the simple fact you need to get used to the 'eating' routine.

Not sure how your job is, but I know mine is "eat whenever" - which usually meant I didn't eat at ALL during the day and only when I got home. I had to make a mental effort to each at regular intervals. It's now so ingrained in me, I can't imagine NOT doing it.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
sarahjameve
on 9/22/09 4:01 am - Columbus, OH
I am a week out and have seen a lot of people say they could have gone back in 3 or 4 days if its a desk job. I was feeling great Friday and have been beyond exhausted yesterday and today. I am out for four weeks because my job has a lot of travel to it, but I would suggest at least 2 as the other poster mentioned you will need time to get into your eating routine.
Sarah Jam Eve RNY March 6th 2003 BOB September 14th 2009 

jfehnel
on 9/23/09 8:35 am
I had lap band on Monday Sept 21. I am on full liquids. I feel like i"m starving and my scale has not moved? Did you feel this way? Have you lost much weight after the surgery? Judy

PS If you were not hungry what do you think helped you with that? And I am taking liquid pain meds.
Judy    
sarahjameve
on 9/23/09 8:52 am - Columbus, OH
I was on pill pain meds and havent really been too hungry but I have a smaller pouch already from a RNY in 2003 so that may make a difference. I have lost 12 lbs since surgery last week but that is very a typical from what I have read so dont judge your success by mine. my surgeon does purees when you first go home so I have had cottage cheese, and pureed roast or soaps that has helped. about 3-4 oz at a time.

I also use beef broth to satisfy cravings just a bouillon cube.

I do have a lot of protein shakes too, I am getting 75-90 protein a day.

Also liquid pain beds could be backing you up, you would be suprised what you lose with a BM.
Sarah Jam Eve RNY March 6th 2003 BOB September 14th 2009 

kathkeb
on 9/22/09 12:36 pm

I have no co-morbidities.

I had an out-patient procedure on a Friday morning and was home before noon.
I took that day off work and then following week.

I do Project Management (desk job from home) and could have worked 1/2 days by Monday after my surgery on Friday -- but I was grateful to have the week off to get used to my new food routine.

I took a nap every day for 2 weeks post op (after I had started working, I could take a cat-nap at lunch since I work from home).

I did not need any pain meds -- just Liquid Extra Strength Tylenol

Kath

newoutlook
on 9/23/09 4:48 am
I had my surgery on Tuesday and I did not return until Monda.  I have a desk job.  I think I really needed those 5 days of recovery.  I felt fine when I did go back.
cmwalsh
on 9/24/09 3:13 am
I had my Realize band placed on September 14th, and I am returning to work on September 28th.  I was only uncomfortable with gas pain, and mild incision pain, until the 20th.

I was walking within hours after surgery.  I have walked 20-30 minutes/day since the 16th, and so far I have lost 10 pounds.  My doctor told me that moving around and walking really helps you move the gas out of your system, as well as the fluids that get pumped into you while in the hospital.

My doctor is allowing me to go back to work after two weeks because I have healed quickly and have had a great response so far to the band.  I also have a desk job.

I feel great today (the 24th), but am glad I took the two weeks.  I will be well-rested and fully adjusted to my "routine" by the time I return to work!

Good luck with your surgery, and I wish you a quick and complication-free recovery!

--Christina  
Most Active