Feeling scared

middleclassme
on 9/22/09 12:55 am
Was banded on 9/14, on 9/19 I ate some mushed up fish and rice (just a 1/2 cup) and have eaten some mashed potatoes and other mushy things just because the liquids seemed to not be enough.  I am so scared now that I have stretched my stomach out and the whole thing will not work.  Is this possible?  Other than that, I feel pretty good, just the mental thought of having ruined everything.  Any words of advice would be appreciated.
Tom C.
on 9/22/09 1:52 am, edited 9/22/09 4:53 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Strong words of advice: STOP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND FOLLOW YOUR DOCTOR'S INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE YOU DO DAMAGE.

Not only to your band, but your success. More then likely you didn't do damage to your stomach or band - but you're going down a bad road - especially in the beginning.

Remember, it's liquids in the beginning - so drink as much broth you want until you feel full.
Are you drinking your Protein drinks? That's what will keep you full

Also call the Doctor and see what stage you are suppose to be on by now.

Know we're here to help you
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
jfehnel
on 9/24/09 1:01 am

Hey Tom,

My name is Judy. i had the lap band surgery on Monday Sept 21. Today I am on full liquids.

I have not lost any weight and I feel like I'm starving? Did you feel this way before your first fill? I feel like I could drink 2 slim fasts protein shakes but I haven't. I am suppose to only sip on the drinks 2 oz at a time.

Can you give me any advice? Judy

Judy    
Tom C.
on 9/24/09 1:17 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Hello Judy,

You just had the operation 3 days ago and you're alreay weighing yourself ?!?!?! My advice - stay off the scale until the first two weeks. Don't forget your body will need to get "into the swing of things" - and it may take a few days.

ALERT: TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE CHANGING YOUR EATING ROUTINE

Each Doctor is differnent. For me I was on "clear" liquids the 2 day, then liquids from day 3 until two weeks. Then I went onto soft mushy foods for 2 - 3 weeks, and "normal/solid" foods from then out.

In the beginning, first make sure you are drinking your 64 ounces of water. Again, depending what your Doctor and/or Nutritionist planned for you, try consuming the following (which will all be considered liquids)

Ice Chips

Low-fat broth

Sugar-free Jello

Sugar-free juices (ex Crystal Light)

Non-carbonated/Sugar free flavored waters

Unsweetened decaffeinated tea

Sugar-free ice pops (popsicles)

Once on “Liquids" add

Skim Plus (I personally hated the regular Skim Plus but liked the Chocolate)

Vegetable Juice (tomato or V-8 – remember low sodium)

Low-Fat cream soup (made with skim milk – make sure you strain it and it can pass through a funnel)

Sugar-Free Fat-Free pudding (make with skim milk)

Apple sauce (natural, no sugar added, no chunks)

Whipped low-fat (fat free) cottage cheese, ricotta cheese

Don’t forget your PROTEIN DRINKS. You will need to make sure you get your 60 to 80 grams of protein in daily, or your won’t lose weight. Hitting your protein numbers will make you successful and lose weight.

I hope this helped !! And remember ....

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE CHANGING YOUR EATING ROUTINE

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Mary B.
on 9/22/09 2:52 am - Southern, MD
I agree with Tom. You should follow the directions your doctor sent for you. Check them out to see if you are on clear liquids, full liquids or mushies at this point.

for the first week I was on FULL liquids including protein shakes, yogurt, pudding, strained soups. The pudding and yougurts helped me stay fuller.

Just be careful at this point since you are so early out. You dont want to risk damaging anything or having your band slip. It hasnt had a chance to heal yet.

Not flaming you...just be careful. That being said...no way have I been perfect during this either.

good luck to you
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

middleclassme
on 9/22/09 5:26 am
thanks for not yelling at me, I am trying to do better and feel better..
MaMa_M
on 9/22/09 11:02 am - MI
I was banded on the 15th...welcome to the loosers bench! Please do as the doctor tells you, I just started puree foods today. The do seem to make you feel full a little longer than the liquids did. You will get to "real" food in a couple of weeks, stay strong!
MaMa M

arkansasnurse
on 9/24/09 12:16 am - El Dorado, AR
hello. just wanted to let you know that you arent alone. i started eating soft eggs and other soft foods three days out. i was able to start full liquids on my 3rd day per my dr instructions but i started on heavier things b/c i too felt the full liquids was not enough. some ppl get a fill with their surgery, i wasn't one of them. the only thing i can do now is start back over and try to make better choices. i lost 10# in the first week but put that back on b/c of stupidity. hoping to remain stronger this next cpl weeks until my first fill. good luck to you and add me if you like. we can encourage each other....

Realize Band 09-08-09
jfehnel
on 9/24/09 12:28 am
How did you pust 10 lbs back on. You mentioned stupidity?? Trying tounderstand. I had the ;lapband on Sept 21 2009. I am on full liquids. I have been on liquids for over a week. In sunday I go to pureed foods. I have not lost any weight!! So I'm really scared plus I am hungry.I get a fill in 3 weeks. So manyy people seem to lose alot of weight on the liquid diet why not me?? Have any ideas? Judy F

I am still taking pain meds. 4 days after surgery.
Judy
Judy    
arkansasnurse
on 9/24/09 12:42 am - El Dorado, AR
I put the weight back on by starting off with potato/cheese soups, finely chewed fries, etc....yes, i completely reverted back to my old way of eating when i found i was having no restriction or problem getting the foods down. i had even made it to having a jr burger finely chewed. i changed my outlook when i went to the dr this past tuesday for my two week checkup and was thoroughly disappointed in myself at the weight gain. i weighed more at the dr office then when i went in two weeks before surgery. im sure some of it had to do with salt,etc b/c i wasnt taking my b/p(diuretic) med, but to be HONEST, i just suck at will power. But, thats ok...I am dusting off and going back at it again. these last two days i have done really well and have pulled 3# back off. Dont fear Judy, from what i am reading, these fills completely change the way some ppl are able to eat and hopefully thast will happen for us. It may be the liquids you are taking in. I was honest and told her i had replaced my diet dr pepper with gatorade and she(nurse) balked at that b/c of the calories. I would rather have something unsweet instead of with a sweetner (splenda,etc) but its hard to find that when you are out and about in town. all the teas at the conveince stores have sweetner,etc in them. chin up. we are only beginning our life change. take a look at what your are drinking/eating (soups,etc) and see if there isnt a better alternative. Cant seem to find a protein drink i like other than special k (which doesnt have much protein) and even that has a few calories. i'm still working in that department, lol...write back

Realize Band 09-08-09
Most Active