Best thing you did for yourself??

over50woman1
on 9/20/09 12:27 am
Been through all pre-op appts and awaiting approval.  Having thoughts  again about doing this?

Margie

Bo-belly
on 9/20/09 5:45 am
Uh...Hell, yeah, it was the best thing I've done for myself!  I had band surgery on 3/25/09, so this Friday will be 6 months out and have lost 65 pounds.  I'm still not at my sweet spot yet, but I can tell when it's time to slow down or stop at my meals.  I've had 3 fills and am at 6cc's in an 11cc band.  I know that with out the surgery, I don't think I'd be where I am now.  I will say it hasn't been easy.  I've worked hard for those 65 pounds.  I've learned about portion sizes and have recognized my body's signals at when I'm getting to my soft stop.  I've started exercising the past 2 months to help my weight loss along.  Right now, I'm working the band...I hope, soon, the band will provide more help to me (sweet spot!).  I don't regret it at all!  Best of luck to you!!
297/274/218/160

The best inspiration is to not outdo others, but to outdo ourselves.

Tom C.
on 9/20/09 7:10 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Let's see .. lost 180 pound in about 19 months .. off all meds .. getting out and seeing old friends for the first time in years .. getting out and making new friends for the times time in years .. actually having women making passes ... finally feeling secure in myself that I am in a great relationship .... I would say YEAH IN A HEARTBEAT !!

Please know what you are feeling is normal. However no matter what we write here, you need to ask yourself "CAN I CONTINUE THE WAY I AM AND BE HAPPY AND/OR HEALHTY". Only you can answer that !!

Know we are here for you. And know I am more then willing to help you in any way I can !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
kathkeb
on 9/20/09 8:55 am
Margie --

I had my band 3 1/2 months ago --- and would not change a thing.

I told my doctor the other day that I 'don't think I could be doing any better' --- I feel great, I have lost 35 pounds since surgery and 55 pounds since I started my pre-op 'campaign to a healthier me' --- and I have more stamina and can exercise so much better than I could before.

My food obsessions have really been curbed (possibly more because I gave up the sweet stuff in preparation for surgery than actual restriction) ---
In the past, when I was dieting, I was always waiting for the diet to end, so I could go back to eating --- I don't feel that way now.  I just don't have nearly the interest in food that I used to have --- what a blessing that has been!

Kath

over50woman1
on 9/20/09 10:46 am
Again, thanks all for your support!

Margie

baboomer
on 9/20/09 11:34 am - CRAWFORDVILLE, FL
hey margie,  it's  the best thing i could have done.  i do know  my doctor saved my life? i'm down 90 lbs surgery on 7/23/08    i still have 38 more to go . you'll be happy....  i could not walk out to my mail box with out being out of breath and pain in the knees and lower back....  cpap set on 16  last year now 6 much better?   wish you all the luck    judie
MissRachel
on 9/20/09 4:36 pm
  I hear you!  I almost backed out of my surgery - I was having 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th guesses about whether it was right for me.  Now?!  I'm about 10 weeks post-op and I've lost 40 lbs!  I feel amazing!  I'm wearing clothes that I haven't been able to even pull up over my thighs in 5 years.  I can go shop or to the movies or wherever I want with friends and not be thinking about how tired I am or what we're going to eat.  And I know it's going to keep getting better!  I still have about 90 lbs to lose but it doesn't seem so daunting now that my band is working for me.  I have my 3rd fill tomorrow and expect to be at about 9cc's in my 11cc band.  I'm at 7.5cc's right now.  This IS the BEST thing that could have happened to me!

But - and here's the big but - and there's always a big but, right? lol!  You have to decide what's right for you.  You know what your heart is telling you.  No matter how good this has been for me or anyone else - do what your gut tells you to do!  You'll still get tons of support here if you decide you're not ready yet.  Like my Bariatric Nurse told me - it's never too late to change your mind until you're asleep on the table.

I'll just end with this:  I'm 41-yrs-old and I finally understand what people mean when they say "40 is the new 30"!  I finally feel how I wish I had felt when I was 30!

Most Active