Events for YOU in Baton Rouge -- Walk and Reception

Frances S.
on 9/19/09 8:09 am - Zachary, LA
If you are close enough to Baton Rouge for a special getaway weekend, please consider this special series of events for bariatric patients. We have been working very closely with Realize Band maker Johnson&Johnson Ethicon and they are helping to fund the Friday night events.

On October 2-3, the Walk from Obesity Weekend will be hosted in Baton Rouge. It's three events focused on bariatric patients and Saturday, you can bring the entire family and have a good time in downtown Baton Rouge near the capitol.

Here's the line-up:

Friday, Oct. 2 -- Reception/Dinner at Pennington Biomedical Research Center

Dinner for patients and their adult guests and program: "Living with Obesity Post-Op: Educating Post-Op Patients"

There will be vendors, samples and professional will be on-hand. The speaker will discuss metabolism after weight loss and a panel made up of two surgeons, a nutritionist, a plastic surgeon and an fitness instructor will field questions from the audience.

There's no charge to attend, but you must RSVP. Send contact information and your name, guest to [email protected] by September 29.

Saturday, Oct. 3 -- Capital Community Health Fair at the Louisiana State Museum

Health screenings start at 8 a.m. and bariatric and other health professionals will be exhibiting and providing information. Plastic surgeon, Dr. Jonathan Kaplan will hold sessions to discuss reconstruction/plastic surgery after weight loss. Samples and vendors will be onhand. A live band will perform. The museum will be open at 9 a.m. and the exhibits and entire museum will be open to participants. There will be no fee to enter the museum.

Saturday, Oct. 3 -- The Walk from Obesity starting at the Louisiana State Museum

A 5K/3 mile walk will start at 9 a.m. The route will go through historic Spanish Town and wind in front of the State Capitol and venture through downtown Baton Rouge. Participants can pre-register at www.WalkfromObesity.com. Go to the site, choose "Join a Walk" and go to the Baton Rouge page. Registration for walkers is $25 and includes a Walk From Obesity t-shirt. Children under 12 register for free. The first 100 children registered will receive a free "Legion of Health" comic book and a music CD.

Here are some related posters/flyers for the events:

I'm coordinating this event for the Surgeons Group of Baton Rouge and the health fair is sponsored by Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center. Please email or PM me for more information or any questions I might not have covered.

I hope to see you on October 2.

Onward!
Frances

A Banded Brain! (read blog)
"Banded for life, switched for good, bypassed by none" (revised, work in progress)

Most Active