General Diet Question

Rachel DiLo
on 9/18/09 11:34 am
What are you ladies and gents monitoring? I was told to have 800-1000 calories, 65g of protiein, and I believe 64oz of water/liquid. Does this sound right? What about fat and sugar content? It's hard getting all the protein in without overdoing the calories, but I do my best and don't go too crazy. I'm slacking on my water intake though.
*~*RacheL*~*

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past."

Tom C.
on 9/18/09 11:22 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
I will admit I just copied and paste this ..

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR BEFORE INCREASING YOUR INTAKE

I am not a Doctor, nor do I play one on TV - so what I am about to say is from my personal experience. :
  In the beginning don’t be too concerned/worry about “calories, fats, sugars, carbs, etc". Make sure you are getting your 60 to 80 grams of protein. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. In the future you can worry about all those other things, but for now - WORRY ABOUT THE PROTEIN. Now don’t get me wrong - I don’t want you to eat a bag of chips, or whole cake or drink tons of ice cream shakes in order to get protein in. You need to use some common sense :) !!   When I first had the operation I noticed if I ate 4 ounces of protein I didn’t feel full - however if I ate 6 ounces I did. I spoke to my Doctor about it. FOR ME he said that those “numbers" are somewhat guidelines. He went on to explain there are some folks who feel full on 2 ounces of protein while some need 6 or 8. He also explained that the calories intake should not be too much of a concern in the beginning. The way he explained it to me was: Prior the operation I may have been taken 3,000 calories per day. After the operation, with the amount of food I was taking in - I may have been taking in 1700 calories. While that’s 500 calories more then the recommended daily allotment - it was actually 1300 calories less then what I normally took in. So not only was I losing weight, but was also feel full. We need to worry about calories when out weight slows downs/stops or starts going up. ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR BEFORE INCREASING YOUR INTAKE
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
kathkeb
on 9/19/09 9:23 am

lean protein is 4 calories per gram -- so, if you were eating protein without added fat, you would be takin gin 65 x 4 = 260 calories in protein.

That can be pretty boring, but it is the fat that is hard to control the calories on, not the protein.(fat is 9 calories per gram).

I track my food -- try to stay between 1,000 and 1,200 a day with 60 plus grams of protein.
I don't pay attention to the other numbers ****asionally look at fiber).

I am losing about 2 pounds per week (33 pounds in 14 weeks post op) and am happy with that, so I don't have a need to go down to 800 calories a day.

I exercise and burn between 200 and 500 calories a day through that.
I aim for 80 ounces of water a day.

Kath

barregirl
on 9/20/09 9:40 am

What about total carbs?  I haven't been told what to manage to, just that the lower the better obviously.  Any idea on that?
Barb

One Day at a Time.

Most Active