Carbs vs Calories and Protein

sarahjameve
on 9/17/09 1:09 pm - Columbus, OH
I am 4 days out from surgery and getting my protein in but wondering if my carbs are too high.

Today I had

962 Calories
22.5 Fat
92.1 Protein
102.3 Carbs

I have had clear soups, pureed beans, and pureed cottage cheese along with protein powders. I am concerned because the carbs seem high but I am not eating crackers/etc so wondering if it comes with the proteins. I am tracking everything on the realize my success website.

Sarah Jam Eve RNY March 6th 2003 BOB September 14th 2009 

PSJ71
on 9/17/09 3:59 pm - Blanchard, OK
You know, that is a good question. I know that when I was doing preop, my doctor's diet consisted of liquids and not to go over 130 grams of carbs per day because he said it is necessary for proper brain function. However, I was also told after surgery to focus on getting the protein and fluids in and not to focus on calories and carbs. So, if you have a nutritionist, you might want to talk to him/her about it or even your doctor. Proteins generally don't have a lot of carbs, if any.

Good luck to you.
  Starting WT:  275   Surgery Wt:  248.8   Current Wt: 202.5 Goal:  140

MissRachel
on 9/17/09 6:32 pm
 I know every surgeon seems to have a different plan but here's what mine recommended and I've stuck to pretty closely.  Obviously I'm still in my first 6 months and I've had 2 fills (I'm at 7.5ccs).  But I've stuck to these guidelines from the time I was on full liquids.  Now I'm on solid foods and still stay in the range for 0-6 months.  I try really hard to stay at about 700 calories a day with no more than 50 grams in carbs and I feel fine.  But i rarely go over 80 grams in protein.   My protein choices are fairly low carb.  

But it was the most difficult in the full liquid stage! 

0-6 months postop:  (daily goals)
Calories 600-800
Carbs 40-60 grams
Protein 60-80 grams

6-12 months postop: (daily goals)
Calories 800-1200
Carbs: 60-80 grams
Protein: 60-80 grams

12-18 months postop: (daily goals)
Calories 1100-1300
Carbs: 100-130 grams
Protein: 80 grams

Maintenance: (daily goals)
Calories: 1200-1400
Carbs 130 grams max
Protein 80 grams

Tom C.
on 9/17/09 10:04 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

I am not a Doctor, nor do I play one on TV - so what I am about to say is from my personal experience. WARNING:
TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE CHANGING EATING HABITS:

In the beginning don’t be too concerned/worry about “calories, fats, sugars, carbs, etc". Make sure you are getting your 60 to 80 grams of protein. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. In the future you can worry about all those other things, but for now - WORRY ABOUT THE PROTEIN. Now don’t get me wrong - I don’t want you to eat a bag of chips, or whole cake or drink tons of ice cream shakes in order to get protein in. You need to use some common sense :) !!

When I first had the operation I noticed if I ate 4 ounces of protein I didn’t feel full - however if I ate 6 ounces I did. I spoke to my Doctor about it. FOR ME he said that those “numbers" are somewhat guidelines. He went on to explain there are some folks who feel full on 2 ounces of protein while some need 6 or 8. He also explained that the calories intake should not be too much of a concern in the beginning. The way he explained it to me was: Prior the operation I may have been taken 3,000 calories per day. After the operation, with the amount of food I was taking in - I may have been taking in 1700 calories. While that’s 500 calories more then the recommended daily allotment - it was actually 1300 calories less then what I normally took in. So not only was I losing weight, but was also feel full. We need to worry about calories when out weight slows downs/stops or starts going up. ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR BEFORE INCREASING YOUR INTAKE.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
sarahjameve
on 9/18/09 1:17 pm - Columbus, OH
Thanks all I have emailed the nutritionist too, I was just wondering about the carbs since that was my downfall before. I feel like I am making good protein choices as well too.
Sarah Jam Eve RNY March 6th 2003 BOB September 14th 2009 

Tom C.
on 9/18/09 11:24 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Remember, there are two types of carbs ... good and bad .. good carbs are good. bad carbs are .. well .. fattening !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active