First fill- only 2.5cc's...is that normal?

dmstear
on 9/16/09 10:51 am
Just wanted to know about how many cc's most people have gotten on their first fills. I got mine today, 2.5cc's and don't see any difference yet.
_Lisa
on 9/16/09 11:08 am - Lexington, KY
It may be normal for your surgeon to only give 2.5cc's-I think every surgeon has a different preference for fill increments.

Personally I got 5 cc's, and didn't really feel anything until a few days afterward.  I'm up to 6 cc's now & haven't felt anything new yet.   I did just get the fill yesterday so I'm on liquids until Friday-we'll see how I feel then once I'm onto solids. :)

I think you should give it a few days too-it seems that everyone's experience varies when it comes to fills!  Give it some time & patience-and make a follow up appointment for another fill a month or so from now just in case you need one. :)
PSJ71
on 9/16/09 8:47 pm - Blanchard, OK
My first fill was 3 cc. didn't feel much either. Then had another 0.5 cc put in on August 24th and had another 0.5 cc put in last Thursday and really not much of a difference either.
  Starting WT:  275   Surgery Wt:  248.8   Current Wt: 202.5 Goal:  140

Mary B.
on 9/17/09 2:14 am - Southern, MD
What size band do you have? I have the 11cc Realize C band. My first fill was 3cc, second fill was 2...Im now at 7.5cc 7 months later and hoping this is my sweet spot.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Tom C.
on 9/17/09 3:35 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Fills have to do with (A) the size of the band (B) how the fill is performed.

The Realize Band comes in two sizes (9cc and 13cc).

When done blindly, a Doctor will insert a small amount, to see how the patient reacts. You may need to go back 2 - 3 - 4 times until the correct restriction is found .

If a fill is done under fluoroscope, the fill amount may seem larger then if a fill is done "blindly", but is more accurate.

The normal amount someone should feel restriction is about 5cc. Again, this is an average and not Gospel. So it may take 1 person 3 trips if fills are done “blindly" compared to 1 fluoroscope fill.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
MauiK
on 9/17/09 3:46 am
My first fill (at about 51/2 weeks) was 4.5cc's (out of 11) and made absolutely no difference. I can eat any/everything as if I'd never had surgery. I go back today for another fill. Hopefully I will be able to tell. I know it's a trial and error thing but....thought I would have lost 20-25 lbs by now.
rdrpanderson
on 9/17/09 4:28 am
Good Afternoon,

I had my surgery on Aug 17, 2009 in New Albany, IN.  I have only lost 12 lbs and I also thought I would have lost more wait than this.  I go in ten days for my first fill. 

When did you have your surgery and how much have you lost?  Where did you have your surgery?

I have so many questions for you.  I is nice to talk to someone who knows what I am feeling and going through. 

If you have time private message message me here on OH.

Thanks for your time.

DeDe from Owensboro,KY
dmstear
on 9/17/09 12:33 pm
Hi,
I do have private message, but not sure how to use it lol. Anyway, I had surgery july 30. From the pre-op and post-op diets, I lost 16lbs (in less than a 2week span) and that was down 4lbs from my pre-op testing two weeks prior. So basically, a week after surgery I had lost about 20lbs in the previous weeks. NOW, 6 weeks later, I have GAINED 4. I am annoyed, but not discouraged. I only got 2.5cc's. So I know it's not enough, but I wish I wouldnt gain anyomre weight. It's really annoying. Some doctors use the flouroscope thing to see how much the band is squeezing when they fill, but mine doesnt and he wont see me again for for weeks. My food gets stuck a little, but then it goes right down and I am just as hungry as ever and can eat ANYTHING. I know it wil get better though...it has to lol. You can private message me, i will be able to resond.
Tom C.
on 9/17/09 10:36 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

>> I have only lost 12 lbs <<

DeDe,

Please remove the word ONLY from your vocabulary, and be PROUD for what you’ve lost in ONE MONTH !! That’s a great accomplishment !! Quick question, would you rather have lost 12 pounds, or gained 1?

Losing weight depends on many factors. The biggest, make sure you are following the rules. Make sure you are getting your 60 to 80 grams of protein in, and your 64 ounces of fluids.

Feel free to send me a PM, and I will be more the willing to answer any question you have and/or help you along your journey !!

CONGRATS ON YOUR LOST !!

Shameless post plug ….

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/realize-band/4013741/I-want-this-word-BANNED-from-OUR-vocabulary/

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
kimg1969
on 9/19/09 7:15 am
Revision on 09/05/12

I had my first fill on 9/08/2009. i got  4 cc's and dont feel any different. i can just about eat all foods with no restriction. i am discouraged daily but i keep hoping that it will get better. i have lost 18lbs since my surgery and wi**** would fall off much faster. i want to be down a total of 50lbs by Dec. 1st. at the rate its going im not going to make it. any suggestions on what i can do????

Most Active