I hate to bring up "regularity" but...

MissRachel
on 9/15/09 3:57 pm
 Ok - so here's the deal.  I was doing great - no problems - and now I have this issue where I am "not regular" and getting constipated.  So sorry to bring it up - but this is no fun!  Pre-op I've never had this issue as an ongoing issue.  It's not the worst - but it's getting worse and has been for about 10 days.  I need suggestions on fiber, etc.  

I'm 9 weeks post-op, had 2 fills, eating solids, and tolerating everything well. Not sure if it could be supplement related.  Daily I take a sublingual B complex, 1200 mg Calcium Carbonate, a Flintstone w/ Iron Multivitamin, and 1000mg Vitamin C.  I don't consume much dairy and eat mostly chicken or fish.  And beans - love the beans.  I drink at least 100 oz of water/liquids daily.

Suggestions?!  I really appreciate it.  Again - sorry to bring up a less than glamorous topic!

Tom C.
on 9/15/09 9:46 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

This is very very common. I think because we are eating less fiber then we once was (and I think the less fat has something to do with it too).

My suggestion, try a "loosener" and additional fiber intake (i.e. Colace and Benefiber)

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
MissRachel
on 9/16/09 5:52 pm
 thanks Tom!  I really appreciate the info.  I'm adding these to my shopping list!
Take care!

PSJ71
on 9/15/09 10:12 pm - Blanchard, OK
HI Rachel,

My doctor told me to be sure to use a stool softener ever so often and take fiber supplement every day. He says that weight loss surgery patient's are more prone to becoming constipated. As a matter of fact, a few weeks ago I had to go see my surgeon, because I was having really bad side pain on my left side and it really got worse whenever I ate. It would hurt all the way up to my collar bone. I was really scared. They took x-rays and I had stool all through my colon. So, I took magnesium citrate, which took 2 bottles to get things going, and within a few days it finally got rid of the side pain. I think I am going to have to take something now because I am starting to feel side pain again.

I guess this is a small price to pay for losing weight. Good luck to you.

Paulette
  Starting WT:  275   Surgery Wt:  248.8   Current Wt: 202.5 Goal:  140

MissRachel
on 9/16/09 5:50 pm
 Oh Paulette - that must have been awful!  I'm glad it easily remedied with the mag citrate.  I think I'm going to do a bottle of that this weekend.  I hurt from my lower back up to my left shoulder blade.  Boo!!!  And then going to get the Colace and Benefiber. Fun, fun!

Thanks for being so helpful!  It's kinda the pits that we have to deal with stuff like this.  But I'd rather be constipated sometimes than as heavy as I was!  

Take care!
Rachel

PSJ71
on 9/16/09 8:46 pm - Blanchard, OK
Hi Rach,

Yes, from the sound of the pain you are having, you are in dire need of some mag citrate! It's so miserable. Odd thing was I didn't realize I guess how "stopped up" I was. lol It was weird, because the only thing that would get rid of the pain was lying on my left side, the side that was hurting. The doc said it was because I was taking the pressure off the descending colon.

It is the pits we trade one thing for something else. lol but I think I would definitely rather take some mag citrate than be miserable being fat. I think I have lost another pound, so it some irregularity is an okay trade off, I suppose.

I hope you get to feeling better. Hugs!

barregirl
on 9/16/09 11:44 am
Is Metamucil OK?
Barb

One Day at a Time.

PSJ71
on 9/16/09 8:43 pm - Blanchard, OK
Yes, I think any type of fiber supplement is good. I used the Benefiber and need to get another bottle. I have been lax on using that, but it does help.

Considering_It
on 9/16/09 9:56 pm
I hope you get some relief soon!
I was just talking to my NUT about how the coffee I drink everymorning keeps everything moving...and I'm afraid if I give it up than I'm going to have *that* issue.  She told me that decaf does the same as regular coffee...not sure I believe her.
James M.
on 9/17/09 11:53 pm - SAGINAW, MN
For me one heaping teaspoon of metamucil each day(dont miss a day)absolutely changed my life,
I will never be without it again I even take it with me when I travel have been using it for years and have turned many of my freinds on to it.
Good Luck
MARTY

Most Active