List of must haves

MisssBrown
on 9/13/09 3:58 am
Hi!

Now that I've had a couple fills and my restriction is getting better I want to make sure I have anything on hand that might help me with a 'stuck' episode.

I've got meat tenderizer and guava chewables - anything else that is recommended?

Thanks! 
wildheart63
on 9/14/09 12:43 am - IL
i have never used any of those things i have sipped hot tea and raise my left arm over my head and stretched...it will usually do it pretty quick ..i have only had a few stuck episodes ...i learned my lesson.
just be careful ...tiny tiny tiny bites.....no bread,rice or pasta is what i did.
good luck lori

MisssBrown
on 9/14/09 11:25 am
I've been chewing my food really well along with taking small bites. 

I'm hoping to never have a stuck episode but we all know it will probably happen at one point or another.
WWIIRosie
on 9/16/09 11:49 pm - Sheridan, IL
I have never heard of guava chewables, but I have used papaya chewables.  Also if you are going to use the meat tenderizer mix it in a sip of Coke.  You don't want to take it dry, you can aspirate on it.

Sheri

Obesity Help Support Group Leader 

MisssBrown
on 9/17/09 10:35 am
On September 17, 2009 at 6:49 AM Pacific Time, WWIIRosie wrote:
I have never heard of guava chewables, but I have used papaya chewables.  Also if you are going to use the meat tenderizer mix it in a sip of Coke.  You don't want to take it dry, you can aspirate on it.

Sheri
You are right - it's Papaya chewables.  Isn't it kind of risking drinking coke incase you are one of those people who have problems?  I was just planning to mix it with a small amount of water - or is there a reason you recommend Coke?
WWIIRosie
on 9/17/09 10:50 am - Sheridan, IL
I do not know what kind of surgery you had, but if you had RNY there is a risk of dumping.  I had the lap band, so the only issue I would have is the carbonation would probably make me vomit at the worst.  Which is fine because then I would probably get the food out and it would no longer be stuck.  My surgeon recommeded Coke (or diet would work) because of all the acid that is in it along with the carbonation and the meat tenderizer would all work together.  I do not know if it would work with water.  The taste alone would probably make you vomit.

I only had food stuck once and I just started throwing up for a few hours and it all came up.  Just be careful, once it happens you will never want it to happen again.  You will do it, we all do, its just a learning experience.

If you have anymore questions let me know.

Sheri

Obesity Help Support Group Leader 

Most Active