Going through a tough time

Tremellia
on 9/6/09 10:09 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Hey O.H....I've been having a rough time lately.  I think that I am a bit depressed, you know just typical life stuff and I'm disappointed in myself with this stupid Realize Band. Lately I've actually been questioning if I made the right choice.  I'm so frustrated and I don't feel the way that I thought I would. 

I know that everyone is different but when I started this journey over 5 months ago I was over 300lbs and I've only lost 40.  I really need some help from you guys.  What does everyone eat?  What is everyone's diet like?

I've noticed lately that I crave the same foods that I use to...now don't get me wrong, my eating habits are NOTHING like they once were, but I can already see how easy it is to go back to old habits.  My dietitian told me to stay away from crackers,pretzels,popcorn....stuff like that. And I thought those were healthy snacks. 

I'm so upset and so sad....
lucybarreto
on 9/7/09 12:02 am
Hi Tremellia don't be sad, sometimes our body takes longer to act on what is happening to us, you might have to eat more salads and try walking after you eat maybe an hour later.  Are you excercising any sometimes that also helps.  They do say with the band it takes a little longet for the weight to come of some just be a little more patient do not get discouraged, and being able to talk to some one does help,  try going to the obesityhelp.com chat room they do help and you can ask others who already had the band on.ok  choa. hope this heplps  ( Lucy)
Livewell
on 9/7/09 3:12 am - Chatham, NJ
Tremellia,

Yes, it is very easy to slip back into bad habits.  We will probably forever have this problem, but if you have many more good days than bad days, you will be able to find the right balance to make it all work out in the end.  You have done really well with losing the first 40lbs, so now you will have to up your game for the rest.

There are plenty of healthy snacks like nuts, seeds, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, yogurts, etc.  I haven't given up popcorn, though.  When I really, really need something to crunch on I will make a bag of light popcorn.  I don't do it often (maybe 2 - 3 times a month at most), but I always go back to making very healthy food choices after giving into a craving.

Just be careful with emotional eating.  You had mentioned that you were depressed about some things going on in your life.  Worst thing you can do is to eat when you are depressed because many of us do not have an auto stop button once we start snacking.  Try to find another outlet as best you can - perhaps exercise more or go shopping or take a bubble bath - anything to take your mind off of food for a few hours.

Best of luck!

Deborah T.
on 9/7/09 4:18 am - GA
Hey Girlfriend,

First Stay Away from The Foods you are not suppose to Eat.  Make sure you get your Vitamins, Protein, and Liquids in each and every day.  This is so Important.

Mix your routine up.  Do different Exercises every day, or Eat at a Different Time each day.  When I do this I have found that The weight Starts Coming Off.  Also Remember you have Got To Move It To Lose It.

Hope this Help You.

GETTING HEALTHY ONE POUND AT A TIME

Deborah Turrell
Obesity Help Support Group Leader/Obesity Help Life Coach

kathkeb
on 9/8/09 2:00 am
Sorry that you are feeling down.

To put things in perspective, consider that you have lost 40 pounds in about 20 weeks.
The band journey is expected to have a weight loss of 1 - 2 pounds per week -- so, actually you are being very SUCCESSFUL!!!

I know that I want to wake up tomorrow or next week, and have had 80 pounds melt off of me, so I know that it feels slow --- but, slow and steady is still going to get you to your goal.

Also, if you were like me, you were gaining 2 - 3 pounds per month, so if you factor in the 15 pounds that you have NOT GAINED since your surgery --- you really are doing very well.

As far as 'healthy snacks', I find that the pretzles and popcorn are too 'white carb-y' for me -- and make me crave more of the same.
I figured out that the taste/texture of salty-crunchy can be satisfied by 8 whole grain Low-Fat Wheat Thins --- and I can walk away from those without craving more.

I like to use 1/2 of a cracker to 'scoop up' a little bit of low-fat herbed cream cheese --- it is salty, savory, crunchy -- and I get a little protein and a little fiber -- that is often my mid-afternoon snack.

Hang in there!!!
Kath

wildheart63
on 9/8/09 3:56 am, edited 9/8/09 3:57 am - IL
first things first......drop the word only!
 40 lbs is nothing to sneeze at. that is 40 less lbs you are carrying around on your knee's.
just go for a walk read a book when you are hungry or feel sad. that will get you away from food and the craving . drink alot more water. how is your restriction level? maybe you need a fill.
talk to your nut or your surgeon about that .
you thought alot of yourself to do the surgery and i'm sure you are worth the trouble that needs to be put into it.
ONLY IS NOT IN A BANDSTERS VOCAB!
BE PROUD OF THAT 40 LBS AND STOP PUTTING YOURSELF DOWN YOU ARE AMAZING!
LORI

Tom C.
on 9/8/09 6:17 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Tremellia

Sorry for the "shameless post plug" but please read the following post I did a week or so ago
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/realize-band/4013741/I-want-this-word-BANNED-from-OUR-vocabulary/

Also remember, the band is a tool. My question to you - ARE YOU USING YOUR TOOL? Have you had a fill? If so, are do you have the right restriction?

Also, are you going to support groups? Since you have the Realize band, are you using the Realize My Success website to monitor what you eat? If you don't like that site, remember OH has a section so you can track what you eat (there are also a lot of free sites which do this too).

Don't forget, the body will stall for a month or two or three or five, then you will start too lose again. It's natural. Also, go back to he basics to "jump start" your weight lose.

I have a lot more suggestion, but why boar you. Know I am, and a loy of friends are, here if you need.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active