why realize band?

Nataliya B.
on 9/6/09 4:40 pm
Hi all! My surgeon recently switched to Realize band instead of other band. He says it's better. In your, experts, opinion, why is it better?
thank you.
skelly
on 9/6/09 11:48 pm - Garland, TX
REALIZE Band on 05/04/09 with
My doctor decided which band I would get and which size when he got inside and checked out my anatomy.  I assume I got a Realize band because it was the best "fit" for me.

Tanis
on 9/7/09 9:52 am
I was given the choice of both bands, my doctor handed me both after looking and touching both I chose the realize band and here is my reasoning,

It looked and felt to be better quality than the other, the part that touches the stomach wall was softer in my opinion and it extended above and below the outer plastic part so in my mind it meant that it would not rub on my stomach causing erosion,

also the way the port attached now was better, instead of being sewn on it now uses claws and when activated it grabs muscle and this seems to be more stable,

as for the lap-band looking at the eyelets where the port was sewn on I thought about over time that the stitches would rub and eventually frey and break.

over all it just looked and felt to be a better product, but I am no engineer so I just chose on my own personal observation.

I think I made the right choice.

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/09 12:52 am
My surgeon gave me the choice of either a Lap Band or a Realize Band. He did not try to push either one on to me. I chose the Realize for a couple of reasons:

One of the staff members that does fills said he found the Realize Band port easier to do fills on

The band material part that will be touching my stomach looked much softer

The port profile was lower. I'm not going to be so oppimistic that I will loose every spare pound I have, but IF I do I don't want to have a higher profile port  that I might be able to see/feel through my skin.

Trixie
wife2denizmoi
on 9/9/09 12:53 pm
Hi, I think that basically the Realize Band is newer technology. The Realize Band has been around for a while being used in Europe, but only a couple of years in the USA I believe.

I was also told that the Realize Band is a low-pressure system where as the Lap Band is a higher pressure system and patients often had the feeling of being about to throw-up. I didn't want to deal with that, so I opted for the Realize Band and am now two weeks away from surgery.
Most Active