Dizziness upon standing...anyone else experience this post surgery?

Pammie0568
on 9/4/09 2:56 pm
I'm two weeks out and doing great...I've already lost 24 pounds. Overall, I feel great. However, I have several episodes of dizziness when I stand up. Is this common?

thanks!
MissRachel
on 9/4/09 3:28 pm
 I had dizziness that came and went for a few weeks post-op.  I eventually got so dizzy in the shower that I fell completely out of the shower onto the floor - I was okay but it scared me enough to call my surgeon.  Ended up that I was anemic and after taking liquid iron for a few days I felt much better.  I still take it every few days in small doses along with my other vitamins.

But everyone is different!  You may have something else going on or it could be nothing serious at all - just fatigue after such big changes to your diet.  If it is worrying you - don't hesitate to call your doctor.  They are there to help! 

I hope you continue to do well - 24 lbs is excellent - congratulations!!!  Take care!
Rachel

SukieSookie
on 9/5/09 9:48 am
I had dizziness within the first week of surgery but not since. I would definitely call your doctor just to make sure everything is ok. And congrats on your weight loss! Great job!

dmstear
on 9/6/09 12:11 pm
Yes, I too felt dizzy and/or light headed for a few weeks after surgery. I think it's just from eating a lot less. I am almost 5wks post op and it doesnt seem to happen anymore. Good luck
rich_in_nfpa
on 9/7/09 2:06 am - New Freedom, PA
I had the same thing happen many years ago when I lost a LOT of weight by dieting. Turns out that it takes the body a little bit of time to adjust to significant weight loss and keep our blood pressure steady when we stand. I was told to stand more slowly and that worked for me. My body eventually adjusted and I was able to stand up without experiencing dizziness. Check out "orthostatic hypotension" on the web.
Rich -- "One Day at a Time, One Pound at a Time"
(Start: 292.6 / surgery weight: 265.0 / current: 205.6 / goal: 175.0)
Most Active