Can the band pop open?

Mikkifinn
on 9/2/09 12:08 pm - Goodyear, AZ
I got banded on 8-21-09. On 8-28-09, I went to sit down and heard and felt a pop in my chest. It didn't hurt and I don't have any pain in my chest to this day. Does anyone think that my band popped open and should I see my surgeon? Since that time, I've had no restriction (I had a bit of restriction from the placement of the band). I'm concerned but I don't want to have surgery again! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Michelle

wendybburke
on 9/2/09 1:52 pm
I don't honestly know if it can open or not but they can very easily look and see with a chest x-ray or an upper GI. I would contact the doctor just in case
Tom C.
on 9/2/09 10:31 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Anytime you're in doubt CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!

While it's very rare to have a band "pop" (to be honest I never heard of that), maybe something did happen. I doubt it, but why wait?

The lack of restriction is normal after a few days, since the band is empty. But you should be safe then sorry.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Mikkifinn
on 9/3/09 11:07 am - Goodyear, AZ
Thanks everyone. I will contact my doc to see if I need to come in.

Carolen
on 9/3/09 1:20 pm - Cincinnati, OH
As a side note, I also had a popping sensation after my surgery.  It felt like a pop, then nothing for a while, then more pops, then nothing... then the popping started to cause pain.  Here is what was happening.  In some surgeries they use a type of "glue" (that is how it was described to me) and this glue hardens.  This glue is used mostly in RNY but my surgeon used some for my band surgery as well.  Some of my glue "popped" loose (broke off) and was my body was beginnig to expel it from my body by pushing it through the layers of muscle.  I am not kidding, eventually it began protruding from my skin.  I went to the ER when it busted through my skin and it was removed with small forceps (tweezers).  Now, I will not lie.  I was very scared.  I thought it was my band or my port coming through my body.  But it was just some hard crystalined "glue".  Really to me it looked more like a harded piece of gauze.  Anyway, I sincerly doubt that is what is happening to you.  But your story reminded me of the one and only complication I ever had from this surgery so I felt the need to share. *shiver*  It was kinda gross.

Most Active